Grand Teton National Park

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

In the past I had looked into backpacking the Tetons, however my goal was the John Muir Trail this past fall. Life got in the way with a job change and some medical bills, so flying to California and taking two weeks off wasn’t going to work. I needed another plan for the Labor Day weekend and the Teton Crest Trail came to mind. The Crest Trail was too short for a 4 day weekend and I wanted something a little bit longer and remote. After studying the maps a bit, I figured that continuing on from Hurricane Pass north and linking up with the trails just west of the park might be a good way to traverse the entire park. Some research led me to Petzoldt’s Teton Trails, an old guidebook from the 70’s, where Paul Petzoldt described a route he called the High Adventure Trail.

Ted Ehrlich heads to Grand Teton National Park - Read the full article below in Issue 12:

Traversing the Tetons

Issue 12 Page 1

Backpacking the Teton Crest Trail, Grand Teton National Park

• 2 weeks later...

I have to give it up to Ted Ehrlich for that Tetons Traverse hike report. Well done. I did something similar on a CDT SOBO thru-hike taking an alternate CDT route branching off the "official" CDT at Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone NP onto the Bechler River Tr, which was something I always wanted to do since I like experiencing waterfalls and hot spring thermal baths. I connected to the Mountain Ash Creek Tr, where I also did the short out and back trip to Union Falls(why not?) and walked Grassy Lake Rd to Flagg Ranch(FR). I needed resupply and was settled in to wait for the shuttle bus from FR to Jackson Hole(JH) but someone offered a ride. Took a "zero"in JH and then a bus to the JH tram that took me to the top of the Teton Crest. Someone gave me a free tram pass ticket so decided on getting up to the Teton Crest that way rather than hitching up to Teton Pass. Had a drink on the crest at the TH in the bar/restaurant at the top of the tram. :o I hiked back along the Teton Crest Tr connecting to elements of the High Adventure Tr that Paul Petzoldt writes about. After hiking in and out of Teton NP along the Teton Crest Trail, Caribou-Targhee National Forest, Jedediah Smith Wilderness, and some hairy mountain bushwacking I made it back to the Glades Creek Trail and Grassy Lake Rd at Flag Ranch. I hitched from FR up the Yellowstone NP South Entrance Rd(Hwy 89/Hwy191/Hwy287) to where the "official" CDT crosses between Lewis and Heart Lakes. Within two days I was in the Wind River Range. That was truly a memorable two wks or so on that CDT thru-hike. It's just this type of alternate routes "allowed" idea of the CDT that I so enjoy about the CDT. This could have been done in a continuous fashion without the flip flopping if one wanted to. Personally, I don't understand why more adventurous innovative perhaps more experienced hikers don't take greater advantage of continuous hikes between Yellowstone and Teton NPs. We should hear more about this. THX again Ted for the trip report. This is my first real post here on TrailGroove but REALLY like what you folks are doing. Really enjoy the more rounded variety of hikes you talk about.

I appreciate the compliment from a CDT thru hiker :-)

Personally, I don't understand why more adventurous innovative perhaps more experienced hikers don't take greater advantage of continuous hikes between Yellowstone and Teton NPs. We should hear more about this.

I have a couple other ideas for hikes in the area, particularly in Yellowstone. I love that area in north west wyoming (lived there for a year), and have visited yellowstone four times. Its just hard to make it up there as often as i would want when i live 8+ hours away, and the wind rivers are closer and less touristy.

I understand. The WRR is awesome and a hiker could spend an entire summer or two hiking continuously in YNP and still not experience/see all there is in YNP. Feel the same about the Big Ditch(GCNP).