Gear Questions

Dove76

On 6/4/2021 at 11:44 PM, Dove76 said:

Its been a long while for me. I haven't an overnight hike before. However, as a kid we rafted the Chama River for 3 days. Pulled over on the side of the river and made camp for the night. Had a blast! Camping in one spot for a couple days doesn't seem to compare. I am planning a 1 night trip up to Guadalupe Peak. I would like to take my time and take in the scenery. Start small and short.  From what I understand there is a small spot to camp on the trail. I also like to pack light. I plan to take my tent, 5lbs, sleeping bag, maybe 10lbs, aluminum cooking pan 2lbs, oatmeal, beef jerky, canned spaghetti (YUM!), trail mix, coffee, coffee cup, crackers, maybe a few more snacky snacks matches lighter, bowl. 7lbs maybe. I will also be taking an extra pair of pants, shorts, socks , underwear, jacket, shirt 10ish lbs. First aid kit. My small coleman propane canister with the small burner 5ish lbs. If I'm missing the kitchen sink and bathroom let me know. Water!!! Cant forget the water! I had read somewhere a person needs 1 liter per hour? Also, I hate shoes. They hurt. I prefer barefoot, but I know that's not possible. I have xero shoes, they're about as comfortable as a pair of shoes can get for me. If you have any suggestions for shoes, please, thank you. We will be going late October early November.  I also have a steep trail that I will be training on over the next several months. 

If I am missing something or overlooking something with the gear, let me know. 

Sounds like a 40+lbs pack once you include everything.
For an overnight trip, that might not be a big issue unless you intend to hike a lot of miles. 
Between the sleeping bag, stove, and pan... you can shed 10lbs pretty easy.  Water... not much you can do there if you have to carry it all.
Just remember, the heavier the pack, the more support you'll want from your shoes.  Being able to drop weight from your feet makes a big difference.

If you have a mummy sleeping bag, 10lbs seems a bit heavy even for a synthetic bag.  Please don't get it wet if it's a cheap bag with cotton insulation, as it will be worse than nothing.
If you are wearing cotton anything, don't get it wet.  Rain gear?  I think you can get an emergency poncho from Walmart for a couple bucks.
Depends on what the weather is like in Texas.  I had a job in Alpine a while back.  It should have been about 50 degrees but IT SNOWED and got down below freezing!!!  Yes, in Alpine.

Do you have a sleeping pad to isolate you from the ground?  No matter how warm your sleeping bag is, if you are directly on the ground you can be cold.
If you have to buy something, avoid the blue closed cell pads.  At least spend a few extra $ and get one of the waffle-ish folding foam ones as they are easier to pack, can be used as a small chair, etc...  Walmart has an Ozark Trail one for under $30.
For a little more you can get some sort of inflating pad you can sleep on better.
FWIW, I had a blue closed cell foam pad when I was a kid.  Still have it in fact.  It's pretty much just taking up space.

For 1 night I wouldn't worry about many clothes.  Something to hike in, and something to sleep in even works for through hikers.  You might smell a little but it won't kill anyone. 
Keep the first aid kit simple.  Mine carries pain relief, allergy meds, bandaids, anti-itch cream, alcohol wipes, neosporin, moleskin for blisters, folding scissors, a little gauze, and some tape. 
If ticks might be an issue where you are going, spray your clothes, and gear with permethrin in advance, and carry something for tick removal.
Mosquito/bug repellent might be good to have, just be aware, most of it doesn't work on ticks after a couple hours.

Food... canned = heavy, but it's not the end of the world since you might be carrying the water anyway.  Still, cans don't weigh nothing.
I'd get one of those knorr side dish packets, and a foil packet of chicken which can usually be found on the same isle as the canned chicken.  
Measure the water, bring it to a boil, add the knorr + chicken, wait, and dinner is served.
Still pretty cheap vs freeze dried stuff.

Water... do you have to carry it all or can you filter some from local water sources?  A lot of places in Texas require you carry it all. 
How much depends on temps, how far you have to hike, etc...
Smart water bottles are some of the cheapest/lightest water carriers out there.  I'd guess you'll need *at least* 3 bottles of water in your pack. 
Drink at the car before you start hiking, and have some water waiting at the car when you get back.  Then you might not have to carry another bottle, but caution is never a bad thing.

Bathroom preparations?   Check the rules where you are camping.  You might have to bury it, and some places make you pack it out. 

Will the camp site be taken by the time you get there?  What is your fallback plan?

Dangerous Wildlife?  Mountain lions, bears, really aggressive armadillos... ?  I'd watch for snakes more than anything.

Michael aka Mac

@JamesD  Just a FYI,  the OP was from June 5, 2021, over 2 years ago, and she already went on the trip.

Yeah, just noticed the age of the posts.  This part of the forum doesn't seem real busy.  Also... would help if I read the entire thread

Edited by JamesD