What type of tent do you use?

PaulGS

I've been comparing the Eureka Mountain Pass 1XT and the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, both are excellent tents!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AdventureMyk

• Bobo Uzala

• PaulGS

• Gary M

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Rogue

I have tried a bunch of different tents in the past including the Eureka Spitfire, SD Flashlight, BA Seedhouse and a couple of big box store tents. Currently I've got the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for my solo trips and a 3 man Sierra Designs for family trips. It all comes down to your preference. I like the SD Flashlight for its roominess when I was by myself, but it was pretty heavy for a solo adventure. The Seedhouse was a really solid tent through some pretty heavy rain, but I found that I prefer a side-entry tent as opposed to a front-entry. The Spitfire was pretty decent, especially when you factor in the low cost, but the small vestibule and limited interior made keeping gear close/dry difficult.

I haven't had a chance to use the Lunar Solo yet, but it will be in action next week so I will be able to give it a more thorough review at that point.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a ZPACK hexamid duplex tent. After considering big Agnes and Hilleberg I opted to go with this tent. Check out my buddies review on the zpacks.com. it is large, waterproof/ resistant, has a great deal of air flow and 2 rainbow doors with a bathtub floor with room for 2 people and gear. It weighs about a pound and takes up very little space in your pack. I was recommended to go with a tarp but I wanted a floor and bug protection. It runs about 590 bucks but it exceeds most other shelters in space water proofing weight and packable size. One great deal.

• 5 weeks later...

Hilleberg Staika- For bad weather & winter use

Sierra Designs Mojo 2- 3 season lightweight

Mountain Hardwear LightWedge 2- Car camping & beach camping

My wife and I are usually backpacking in relatively high elevation areas where nasty weather can happen any time of the year so for the last couple of decades we have been using 3-4 season tents. The current version is REI's Arete 3 ASL. Not light at about 6 lbs but ventilation is excellent and it is very functional-better in every way than the last SD version we had.

4 Season/Expedition;

2 – North Face VE-25

3-Season;

Hilleberg Nallo 3

Eureka 2 man Timberline (with extra vestibule and annex)

Single Person tents;

Eureka Mountpass 1XT

Eureka Solitaire

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2

Big Agnes 3-wire bivy sac

Car-camping;

6 person Screened Weathermaster Coleman tent

and assorted homemade tents and tarps

I'm constantly rearranging my shelter selections depending on conditions, and have since evolved to UL/SUL shelters, but PaulGS, your Eureka reminds me of a Eureka Backcountry 1 I still have in great condition I bought in 2005 from Campmor for $95 that has countless nights on it. I certainly got my moneys worth from this shelter.

1330978675_58956.jpg

Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid and various tarps(cuben fiber, spinnaker, and silny) made by Mountain Laurel Designs, Oware, and Zpacks are my main shelters.

I do have a Hennessey Asym UL Explorer and Dream Darien for hammocks.

The Mighty Rogue

I seemed to have run the gammut on tents, but I currently have 3. I've got a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for trips by myself: Sierra Designs Lightning XT3, for those trips with 1other person: and some monstrosity of an 8 man tent, for car camping with my wife and son.

AdventureMyk

I just picked up 2 new tents with different purposes in mind and will be testing this coming week on a 4-day kayak camping trip. The two new ones are the Mountain Hardware Optic 3.5 and the Big Agnes Slater UL 3+. The latter has a massive vestibule and is more for cooler weather/wet weather where the Optic looks to be the king of sky-watching. I looked at the Kelty TN2 and TN3 compared to the Optic but was able to get the Optic 3.5 and footprint shipped to my door for less than $230. Most places want $285 just for the Optic 3.5 and another $45+ for the footprint. Yeah, I wasn't going to argue either. ;)

Current tent fleet:

1 person:

Eureka Solitaire. Been very happy with it but it gets a little warm on humid days. Fast easy set-up, packs down to nothing and slips nicely on my dualsport or backpack.

2 person:

An old Eureka I bought in 1988 and was last used 2 weekends ago. After roughly 25 years of regular use I finally had to run duct tape over the main seam in the floor. It wasn't leaking yet, but the factory floor tape had literally turned to powder. Aside from that most people couldn't tell it from new and it's seen dozens of harsh storms, etc.

3 person:

Big Agnes Slater UL 3+ (new, no review yet)

Mountain Hardware Optic 3.5 and footprint (new, no review yet)

5 person+:

High Sierra behemoth monstrosity that works very well for car or kayak camping but would need to be broken down to at least 3 parts for back-packing..and I can't think of many backpacking spots around the Smokies big enough to even set it up. For car/kayak camping it's HUGE with great venting. I just can't remember the name.

Hammock:

Hennessy Explore Asym Deluxe and an Eno single-nest for storage underneath to keep stuff off the ground.

Ticket To the Moon Single (two of them with bug nets and a 12' Kelty Tarp)

Once it actually stops raining and my landlord hasn't just mowed the grass I'll set up what amounts to a tent-city just to have them all side by side to compare. Should be an interesting day. :)

I seemed to have run the gammut on tents, but I currently have 3. I've got a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for trips by myself: Sierra Designs Lightning XT3, for those trips with 1other person: and some monstrosity of an 8 man tent, for car camping with my wife and son.

Nice! Life isn't complete for the outdoorsman that doesn't have the monstrosity 8 man car-camping tent!! What does it weigh, around 50 pounds? How many beers does it take for you to set it up?