Technology on the Trail

Aaron Zagrodnick

"I try to never miss opportunity to talk to new people because I learn so much that way."

I'm the same way jshanks in that I too like to experience new people because I learn so much but I find I learn more when I'm not talking and instead listening and carefully considering what someone else is saying first. Then, when I do talk I'm reply from a place where I better understand what someone else said. It makes for a better conversation that all parties could better benefit from. It took me a long time to break that annoying habit, and often perceived as rude, so common of easterners, especially northeasterners, where we can stop mentally listening to what is being said in our eagerness to state what we want to state.

It's not only people we can observe and learn from either. Sometimes we can forget that. Raw Nature can teach us a lot too! I love to listen to the wind through the trees, feel the rain on my face and the smell of the woods after the rain, catch the warmth of the sun on my body, watch the snowflakes land on my arm, hear the snow crunching underfoot,......It's often at these times when I feel truly alive!

• 8 months later...
Hikingonthru

Talking on a phone or using a device in a communal space without first getting permission of those present is quite rude. We have a rule in our BP club...no technology other than for camera usage or a true emergency that requires the intervention of rescue personnel. We went on a simple overnighter this past weekend...did the section between Wayah Bald and Winding Stairs gap on the AT. We were definitely in the "thru-hiker bubble" to say the least...mainly twenty -somethings. Stayed on Siler Bald. A member wanted to go see the shelter there. It was crowded and almost every hiker there had an earbud in at least one ear and some type of device going. There was almost NO interpersonal interaction between hikers. We walked through and not so much as a greeting, so self-absorbed were these people. Coming up from Winding Stairs was a young man who was obviously past his load limit on a steep climb. Rather than deploy his poles, he was holding a device in his hand as he labored up the hill. Looked past him and saw what must've been a 2 pound solar charger strapped open on his backpack. For many of us, we use our precious time off to go to nature specifically to get away from computers and devices. It's simply rude and self centered to use your device without asking those around you first. If you need to use them, take it off into the woods...just like you'd do if you were taking care of personal toileting issues.

• 3 weeks later...
Howlinmadman

I do like to have the technology with me on the trail. I use my phone for gps, trail maps, elevation, distance hiked, trail guides, etc... however, if I do need to use the phone I will only use it away from people and quietly. I feel talking on a phone in the backcountry is akin to talking on a phone in church!

I do like to have the technology with me on the trail. I use my phone for gps, trail maps, elevation, distance hiked, trail guides, etc... however, if I do need to use the phone I will only use it away from people and quietly. I feel talking on a phone in the backcountry is akin to talking on a phone in church!

Nice analogy, and I like the beagle avatar!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Howlinmadman

Nice analogy, and I like the beagle avatar!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Thanks! That's Tank!