Who is your back-country idol?

Bobo Uzala

Too bad nobody else on the forum wants to share their experiences.

The forum is what you make of it folks........

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gary M

• Bobo Uzala

• Aaron Zagrodnick

• trekkerman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain James T. Kirk and Smokey the Bear were some of the first ones who picked my outdoor interests. For my niece it's Dora the Explorer.

Not so much an idol, but an inspiration was one anon. thru-hiker who told me "Out there chaos, here is the real world".

http://www.pmags.com/real-world-vs-chaos

My paternal grandfather is my own personal idol: Work hard, treat people you love with respect, keep your word and do what you say you'll do (and if your wife cooks an amazing traditional southern Italian meal,clear the table and do the dishes while she enjoys coffee and dessert)

If I could proffer an author, M. John Fayhee. Although his work may not be as weighty as some other authors offered here in this forum (and I doubt he would place himself within their ranks), anyone who has spent some time on the trail, specifically in the high country will be able to appreciatehis wit as well as the seeming irrelevancy of his work. The author of such works as: Up at Altitude, Along the Colorado Trail, Along the Arizona Trail, The Colorado Mountain Companion, Smoke Signals, Mexico’s Copper Canyon, A Colorado Winter, etc., and being the former editor of the Summit Country News and current Editor of the Mountain Gazette, he has been prolific in his writing andI have enjoyed his work.

• 5 months later...

I suspect that TrailGroovy people with an insatiable appetite for the outdoors collect an Everest-sized mountain of books, maps, magazines, CD/DVDs – whatever delivers us to a trailhead or instructs our daring intent. Dog-eared rags knotting us into a figure eight daydream, guiding us to the next expedition. There’s a hallowed section of our library where the shelves are sheer and precipitous. Horizontal rain and heavy snow, you can feel the color and warmth of life at altitude. It’s the place where our heroes are camped out.

Who resides in that special place of your library, the people that inspire us to travel to far-away places? Who pushes you on the daily workout, takes one to non-ordinary space, and maxes out our credit cards?!? Who is your back-country idol?

Orrin Bonney

Bear grylls or ray mears, i have read a few of bear grylls books & i find ray mears really good. I like how he learns the way of the natives where he visits

I would also suggest Edward Abbey and Desert Solitaire but also his book The Monkey Wrench Gang. I've backpacked a lot of southern Utah and when I read it I felt like I was right there with them.

I would also say I found "On Desert Trails With Everett Ruess" and "One Mans Wilderness" by Richard Proenneke to be very inspirational.

I would also suggest Edward Abbey and Desert Solitaire but also his book The Monkey Wrench Gang. I've backpacked a lot of southern Utah and when I read it I felt like I was right there with them.

I would also say I found "On Desert Trails With Everett Ruess" and "One Mans Wilderness" by Richard Proenneke to be very inspirational.

As I have previously noted, Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey is my all time favorite; a true masterpiece that inspired me to get into backpacking and hiking many years ago. I still carry a copy in my backpack on any overnight trips.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

"Isn't the purpose of hiking and backpacking to enjoy the freedom and wonders of the outdoors? To see and explore the beauty of nature first-hand? To experience the trail as if it is your first time seeing such things?"

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Read the Monkey Wrench Gang after Desert Solitaire - Definitely 2 very different but excellent reads. Shortly after reading the former actually went on a backpacking trip to the Maze in Canyonlands, felt like I was reliving parts of the book as we walked past each landmark...

Yar, so many inspirational writers already mentioned to stir the heart and soul.

For me though, the ones that hold the highest honor on my shelves are those who taught me the "How" of the art of the outdoors. It's hard to fall in love if you don't know what the hell you're doing. I admire most those who instructed me on what to do so that I could find the why for myself.

Horace Kephart, Camping and Woodcraft- Though a century old it is one of the most useful books I've ever read, on any topic. An honorable mention to his mentor, George W. Sears "Nessmuk" who carried a 25lb load (including canoe and paddle) in the late 1800's long before Ultralight was even a term.

Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker- a fine and friendly writer all around. His book though was one many "grew up on" and pivotal in the resurgence of outdoor recreation in the 60's/70's. Uncle Colin has a fine writing style and conversational ease that speaks to us all.

Bill Mason, The Path of The Paddle- Quite simply the best canoe manual ever, and written by a fella who loved the earth sincerely. Bill taught me how to connect to the water, and all it touches.

Ray Jardine, Trail Life- I admired Ray as a young climber, but if anyone is responsible for our modern Ultra-Light and ease of modern backpacking- he's the guy I credit.

An honorable mention to Tom Brown, Jr. Despite the BS surrounding the fella these days, it is inarguable that there is some truly useful information in his field guides.