Who is your back-country idol?

Bobo Uzala

Yes, Finis Mitchell has become somewhat of a folk hero of the Wind Rivers. (Kind of a Johnny Appleseed, only he planted fish not apple trees.) He was from Rock Springs and a few years ago I was shocked that there was no mention of him in the city's museum. I then gathered some materials on him (Clippings, his book, A sketch of him and wrote up a brief bio of Finis. I even had a 2'x3' poster with bio info written on it.)

I presented the material to the museums curator. A few months l later the stuff was on display. I think I embarrassed the guy into it.

What makes Finis unique is that he was somewhat ahead of his time. He did lots of stuff in the Winds in the 1920's and 30's. Few people went into the Wind Rivers just to hang out back then. He was not a highly educated man but he had a certain vision. His grandson lives and works in Pinedale

Trekkerman

post-447-143508723496_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gary M

• Bobo Uzala

• Aaron Zagrodnick

• trekkerman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of great names have been shared but I'm dissapointed to not have seen:

1) Aldo Leopold: The father of American Wilderness Areas and arguably THE greatest environmentalist of the 20th Century.

2) T. Roosevelt: I'm fortunate to live just south of the World's first National Park and SE of my favorite places on earth in the World's first National Forest, the Shoshone.

3) Rachel Carson: Imagine where we'd be if it hadn't been for "Silent Spring."

4) Wallace Stegner: Also inspired millions to care

5) So many more.

• 2 weeks later...

I love to read about mountain adventures, but I've met some people who really inspired me.

About 15 years ago when I lived in Texas 10 hours from the nearest mountains, and was busy every day with young kids, I followed posts by Snow Nymph on thebackpacker.com. She backpacked in the Sierra Nevada every weekend and posted pictures. I got to meet her when I moved to CA. She rarely backpacks any more, but is still really active and shares pictures. http://snownymph.smugmug.com/

Last summer I climbed Mt. Rainier with a guy named Pryor who I knew a long time ago when he was in high school. He's living the hiker's dream in CO and has climbed everything in that state I ever dreamed of climbing. We spent 3 weeks climbing, backpacking, partying and having a great time.

There are a couple of guys locally who hike a lot and do volunteer trail work that inspire me to get out often. It's great when you can go on trips with your idols.

• 2 weeks later...