• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmountainnut

• jshanks24

• Gary M

• grizzled

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW, for jshanks24 (or anyone else wanting to learn a bit more about photography), spending a bit of time reading the following website's course will be very helpful. Its very good, and will probably involve a bit of re-reading because its pretty elaborate and involved.

http://www.freephotocourse.com/online-photography-course.html

tmountainnut...................

Thank you so much for the info and link. I have been using an older Sony Cyber-Shot, so I guess I'll have to upgrade somewhere along the line. Years ago I used a SLR Nikon (forgot the model); great camera, but it as just too big and bulky for the trail. I'm with you, the camera has to fit in my pocket or it will just have to stay home. Thanks again for the info, more please!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

tmountainnut

Thanks Gary.

One main thing i just realized i didn't really cover is how the sensor is able to pickup the light. The larger the sensor, the larger the pixels (for the most part), and the better noise control it will have (avoiding the grainy look in low light at higher ISO). Larger sensors will also have better dynamic range (ability to keep stuff from getting washed out with too much light or blacked out when there isn't enough) and better color depth. Larger sensors also give you the ability to control depth of field. So its always advantageous to get a bigger sensor, but then you'll be fighting the optical physics of the lens size/ability if you want to keep your kit small.

For a zoom camera, the Sony RX100 series really hits a sweet spot of being just small enough to fit in your pocket, a decent size sensor, and a pretty good lens. The RX100(II) has a little better sensor than the original, and the RX100(III) has a better lens and the same sensor as the II. They aren't exactly the cheapest, and if you're willing to carry something a bit bigger, the older NEX series and the newer A5000/A6000 are great cameras and will produce better photos than the RX cameras.

As I've stated before, a tripod can help tremendously with any camera in low light as long as there isn't any very fast movement within the photo (animals, etc.). I wrote up a primer on some lightweight tripods in issue 9.

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue9.html?autoflip=51

Thanks again tmountainnut,

Most of my camera problems are probably not the actual camera, but rather (as my father used to say) the nut behind the wheel! I'm going to follow along with your suggested training site and see if it helps me. I get a few nice photos each time I'm out on the trail as I was early this morning. But way too many poor or mediocre shots. So I think a little on-line training will help. Thanks again...

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

tmountainnut

"A better camera won’t do a thing for you if you don’t have anything in your head or in your heart"

Something that might also help after brushing up on the website i linked is to look for some photography challenges to help figure out some new techniques. There are plenty ideas for a "photo-a-day" challenge to make you think more about how to get a desired effect that you see in your head. :-)

Thanks so much again. Just following along on the on-line training has already given me some ideas to improve. Hopefully I can live up to your excellent quote!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Home of the Jayhawks!

I think you should take your Phone in for a warranty claim. Those pictures should be way better! Either that or you have a very smudged or scratched lens. I use my iPhone for all my pics now days since I don't have to carry extra stuff. Works great.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you should take your Phone in for a warranty claim. Those pictures should be way better! Either that or you have a very smudged or scratched lens. I use my iPhone for all my pics now days since I don't have to carry extra stuff. Works great.

Turns out wiping the lens with a polyester shirt destroys your lens. Too late for my phone. hopefully someone reads this and doesnt make the same mistake I did.

Turns out wiping the lens with a polyester shirt destroys your lens. Too late for my phone. hopefully someone reads this and doesnt make the same mistake I did.

Did you end up getting a camera? If so, i'm interested in which one?

I ended up getting a GoPro Hero 3+ Black. As I thought about it more I decided that I wanted to start doing video on the trail. I ended up going well over my budget but I think for a good cause. Or at least that's what Im going to keep telling myself. I have not had a chance to take it on the trail yet due to some conflicts with scheduling but I am hoping to go out this Saturday. If anyone has any suggestions for using it let me know. I love learning new things.