The Making of a Trail Dog

Gary M

Great looking dog!

Collies are a wonderful all around breed that have many fine traits. As a herding group member, they are especially noted for their intelligence and ability to be trained. I've read some reports that state that overall, collies are the most intelligent breed of dog. Normally, great with kids also!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

• 8 months later...

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

The Making of a Trail Dog…or……… Hiking with Canine Friends….Update!!

Last December here at TrailGroove I posted a four part series about my efforts to train Truman, my new rescue canine trail companion.  Monday evening I will post the update that I promised at that time.  For those new to TrailGroove or interested in re-reading the series, you can follow this link The Making of a Trail Dog to my original posting. 

Thousands of people have read this original work, and the very positive feedback has far exceeded my simple goal of telling the story of Truman and Maximus.  I feel that it’s one of the better things I’ve written.     

56452f368bc41_HillsdaleTruman011.thumb.J

Truman, October 2015

Gary M

• Like 2

Really enjoyed this Gary. I am on my third Newfoundland and can attest that they are wonderful trail companions, although not well-suited for hot weather hikes. Bonny, below, is also a rescue and used to either cower or lunge at teenage boys, but is well-socialized now. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HappyHour said:

Really enjoyed this Gary. I am on my third Newfoundland and can attest that they are wonderful trail companions, although not well-suited for hot weather hikes. Bonny, below, is also a rescue and used to either cower or lunge at teenage boys, but is well-socialized now. 

HappyHour

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the article, the 2015 update will be posted Monday here at TrailGroove.

Probably like many other dog owners I'm biased about my dogs.  But I do believe Newfoundlands make great trail dogs.  As you say, heat is an issue; but otherwise they have all the features to really shine on the trail.  When I was younger I hiked with Labs, and of course they also excel in the outdoors.  Truman has some Lab in him (I think), but I still prefer Newfies.

I enjoyed your photo of Bonny, I see at times you utilize a dog pack.  Newfies do great with packs, as this again goes back to their breeding.  I hope my wife and I will adopt another Newfoundland in the future.

Hope you take time to read Truman's story Monday.

Gary M

Hillsdale Truman 011.JPG