whats your backpacking luxury item?

hutchie

post-947-143508723556_thumb.jpg

We just strap the Little Joey outside the bag where the sleeping mat cord would be and use a carabiner to one of the ice-pick hooks as a security of sorts to make sure it doesn't come loose. On this particular trip she didn't have the straps all that tight around it and it did start to come loose. We didn't even notice until we stopped for a break since the 'biner kept it in place.

• Premium Member

I can see the minion curled up in the Heli a bit easier. :) Now what is this monkey pillow case? (pics required of course) :)

:)

It's a pillowcase to help keep your pillow from slipping off your pad. It works really well & adds some cushioning too. I'm a very light sleeper, so if my pillow moves around, I don't sleep much. This is where I bought it:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/151058776/small-monkey-pillow-case-from-high-tech?

and here's our kiddo trying it out a couple of years ago:

post-2-143508723563_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Alite monarch chair, ebook reader, a can of beer, maybe a dram or two of single malt scotch, a small lantern, a small, padded pillow sack and a reflective sun umbrella. I guess I don't hold back with the luxury items. The umbrella lets me have some shade wherever I want to sit and read, ideally a spot with a nice view. It's saved my bacon camping above the timblerline where there's otherwise no shade. I always plan around allowing for some time to kick back and read. I'll be taking my oldest daughter on a backpack trip this spring and plan on bringing a hammock, mainly for her. She likes to read too.

ogg, that's a pretty luxurious combo! :D I've never backpacked with an umbrella, but I've always wanted to try out the late GoLite Chrome Dome or similar on a trip to see how it goes.

We just strap the Little Joey outside the bag where the sleeping mat cord would be and use a carabiner to one of the ice-pick hooks as a security of sorts to make sure it doesn't come loose. On this particular trip she didn't have the straps all that tight around it and it did start to come loose. We didn't even notice until we stopped for a break since the 'biner kept it in place.

That makes sense...I usually just stash mine inside my main pack compartment for use at camp, but I can see the benefit of having it ready to go at a moment's notice!

Jen, nice way to keep it in place! (and cute future minion of evil... I lack my own minions though. Hmm.)

Aaron, it's not so much the 'moments notice' as it is space in the bags. The chair also acts to keep the pack upright when you set it down as it is tied off nicely. When you do get to camp it does give you some place dry to set your packs while you throw the tarps and such up if it's raining. One of these days I'm going to stop bringing both hammock and tent rigs at the same time but frankly I never know which mood I'm in until I find the site. :) (see, space issue, chair stays outside) :)

I've graduated to ultra lite, 30 lbs or less, in my elder years but the one thing I won't leave behind is a camera. I don't mean a pocket camera either. I post a hiking blog for my grand children to follow and I want to capture as much as possible so I hike with a Nikon D3200 DSLR. Heavy but its worth it.

I don't consider a camera a luxury. Just another piece of the camping equipment but whether or not to throw in the big lens is another story. If we are only going to be out a night or two, there is one luxury item usually in the pack: a re-bottled bottle of a good cabernet or merlot.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

...Aaron, it's not so much the 'moments notice' as it is space in the bags. The chair also acts to keep the pack upright when you set it down as it is tied off nicely. When you do get to camp it does give you some place dry to set your packs while you throw the tarps and such up if it's raining. One of these days I'm going to stop bringing both hammock and tent rigs at the same time but frankly I never know which mood I'm in until I find the site. :) (see, space issue, chair stays outside) :)

Gotcha, my pack always seems to be falling over from the slightest breeze so I might have to implement the kickstand idea. :D

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Seems like Moose Drool always manages to find a way into the backcountry. A summer day discovery in the Winds:

post-3-143508723636_thumb.jpg