whats your backpacking luxury item?

hutchie

mmm...beer is definitely a luxury item for sure. Here's Dale's Pale Ale more mischievous cousin:

9219703476_5c00db566d.jpg

My other luxury item is my DSLR. I am thinking of getting a mirrorless set up at some point. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

I try to get my essentials as light as possible so I can splurge on the luxury items. I always bring a beer or two. I have found that anything from Oscar Blue's brewery in Colorado is a good bet. They pack a punch and come in cans. Particularly fond of the Old Chubb Scotch Ale. Other than that I bring a good book, my fly fishing gear, camera, bourbon or peppermint schnapps (depending on if I bring spiced cider or hot chocolate), and my iPod if I am going it solo. I know some people poo-poo at extra electronics in the backcountry but man...getting the right tunes at sunset with a cold beer is priceless.

post-967-143508723825_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I love that tent! I'm looking for a new tent and becoming a big fan of the Big Agnes. Luxury (necessary) items for me are cameras. I take a Canon Cybershot for wildlife/zoom shots and a Panasonic Lumix for wet weather. I'm trying to watch weight so beer is definitely an after hike treat but I do carry something to sip in the evening. Schnapps or Rumchata are current favorites, especially mixed with hot chocolate. The chairs look interesting. I've carried my food in a bear canister which has doubled as a seat but opted to leave it my last hike in the interest of weight savings. Most nights I could find a suitable log but as I get older, the thought of a comfy chair at the end of the hike sounds very inviting!

Not sure if this is a luxury item, but I really push for s'mores, even if I have to add the supplies to my pack. 

I also love to bring an Uno deck!

• 1 month later...

My luxury gear item is my REI AirRail sleeping pad. It's so comfy! My luxury food item would be a small container of sweet tea :)

• 3 months later...