Thru-hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

For many backpackers, thru-hiking a major long trail just isn’t a realistic option. Not everyone can pause life, quit their job, and leave their family and friends behind for half a year to hike a long trail. Even if they could, not everyone has the mental and/or physical stamina to enjoy such an arduous task over multiple months. Maybe you’re an aspiring to thru-hiker, but feel like you need more experience before committing to such a long endeavor. If you fall into any of these categories, or maybe have put the idea of thru-hiking on the back burner, I’m here to tell you that there is still a complete thru-hike experience out there for you! The 173 mile Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) is the perfect solution! To give an idea of my perspective, I’ve hiked over 10,000 miles along long distance trails, and the 173 miles spent on the TRT are some of the most memorable...

@Wired takes us along her thru-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail day by day. Check out the article in Issue 27:

Thru-hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail Day by Day

Thru-hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail

Issue 27 Page 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice story and pictures - I enjoyed Rockin's account of this trip on her blog, and enjoyed it here as well. 

I had the chance to hike here a few years ago in my pursuit of the endemic trout of the Great Basin. Camping on a ledge near Showers Lake overlooking Lake Tahoe was one of my all time favorite campsites. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful this area is, hope to get back there this summer. 

12 hours ago, HappyHour said:

Nice story and pictures - I enjoyed Rockin's account of this trip on her blog, and enjoyed it here as well. 

I had the chance to hike here a few years ago in my pursuit of the endemic trout of the Great Basin. Camping on a ledge near Showers Lake overlooking Lake Tahoe was one of my all time favorite campsites. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful this area is, hope to get back there this summer. 

You'll be happy to hear that this trio is reuniting this summer to take on the Sierra High Route and Wind River High Route!

• 4 weeks later...