Backpacking and Hiking the Pecos Wilderness

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Imagine a wilderness area of tundra ridge walks, a place where 13,000-foot peaks tower into the sky, where wildflowers dot the landscape, and bighorn sheep scramble over the terrain. A wilderness area that would seem to be the stuff that backpacker dreams are made of. Now picture this area tucked away in northern New Mexico. An area ignored by many backpackers. No major long distance hiking trail comes through these mountains. No glossy travelogues feature this wilderness area. This wilderness area? The Pecos Wilderness. And to paraphrase New Mexico’s often quoted description, it is a Wilderness of Enchantment...

In Issue 34 @PaulMags details the numerous backpacking, hiking, and exploration oppurtunites in and around the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico. Read the full article below in Issue 34:

The Pecos: A Wilderness of Enchantment

Backpacking and Hiking in the Pecos Wilderness

Issue 34 Page 1

Aaron, how apropos that Paul Mags posted this story.  I just returned from a five day trip to the Pecos wilderness, climbed East Pecos Baldy, Pecos Baldy, and Truchas peaks all from a basecamp at Pecos Baldy lake.  Will try to post a trip report tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sounds like a great trip and look forward to the trip report John! Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to check out the Pecos quite yet, but it's very much on my shortlist, and seasonally speaking seems like an interesting option to combine with more local opportunities. :)  

PMags photo'd some of my favorite places. I did several trips there in May and the snow always limited access to the high places. It's a worthy destination - big and spectacular.

• 1 year later...