Scrambling

Marmelade

OK, so... while taking a day hike on a steep trail in the Siskiyous in Northern CA last summer, after getting up 29 or so switchbacks in a row (steep and strenuous, but not on the edge of a precipice), I found myself unexpectedly in this situation: First, the "trail" was no longer visible at all, because we were on rock...later I learned those weird little towers of rock were cairns and not random artistic statements! and, Second, the trail proceeded for quite a distance along the side of the rock outcropping, with a drop hundreds of feet to an invisible location below. To proceed would involve bending down sideways (daypack flopping around) and using hands.

Thus I discovered scrambling, but at this point after 4 hours on this trail and the switchbacks -- and not quite sure we were even on the trail -- didn't have the confidence or skills to proceed to the truly incredible endpoint.

Here is the question: where and how can one get "scrambling" training in the Midwest? It seems like the corporate offerings like Vertical Endeavors really focus on straight-up climbing of vertical indoor walls, which I have no desire to do. Just want to focus on scramble situations that come up in the great outdoors!

Old-fashioned navigation & trail-finding tips in areas (like the above) outside of GPS range would also be helpful.