Trail Goals and Lists

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Curious if any others have any goals they're working towards / ways to find a good excuse (as if we need those...) to get out? For me, I have a map of the Wind River Range on my wall that I've been using to pin campsites on over the years, which was interesting, but then when I realized the UTM grid overlaying the map seemed like a convenient way to break the range up into smaller sections...I'm now working to step foot into each square of the grid within an official wilderness boundary, outlining each grid on the map once I visit to keep track. Hoping to get them all outlined sooner rather than later... (Is 2015 the year?) Although not sure what I'll do after that...I suppose I could divide them into 4ths and start all over! It's kind of like peak bagging but I'm going for the grid...And there are enough sections that I haven't been patient enough to count them all quite yet. :D

post-3-143508723683_thumb.jpg

Anyone else have a list or goal they're working on?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulGS

• Aaron Zagrodnick

• bobrick

• toejam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's an interesting goal Aaron. I've been hitting the Beartooth's for annual week trips for 51 years now and I would guess there are at least 1/3 of the UTM grids I haven't stepped in. A lofty (excuse the pun) endeavor but I still want to see some other places too.

I wish my goals and lists were as thoughtfully planned out. My goals are to hike more of the Eastern Sierra passes and trails. As I get stronger and more confident, I am putting trips on my list based on other trip reports I read. As an example, I want to hike over Kearsarge Pass. The best way for me is to put the plan into action, ie I studied the maps and youtube videos, I requested the time off from work, I reserved a spot at a campground on Hwy 395 that gives me easy travel access to several hikes. I enlisted a couple friends to join me. In the event they have to bail, I feel prepared to hike it by myself.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That's an interesting goal Aaron. I've been hitting the Beartooth's for annual week trips for 51 years now and I would guess there are at least 1/3 of the UTM grids I haven't stepped in. A lofty (excuse the pun) endeavor but I still want to see some other places too.

Yeah, so far it's just something I've been keeping track of, haven't made any trips dedicated to just the "Goal" yet. (Although I admit to taking some "scenic routes" to knock a few more out) Getting it done this year would be a challenge but it's something I've been considering. If not, I feel like I'll probably just happen to cover enough new ground this season by chance in addition to what's already been hiked that after that it might seem close enough to grasp with a few trips just for the purpose. Some are more remote than others, however! I'd agree on diversifying, it's definitely not something that's preventing me from heading over to Utah for a break from the snow during the shoulder seasons, etc.

I wish my goals and lists were as thoughtfully planned out. My goals are to hike more of the Eastern Sierra passes and trails. As I get stronger and more confident, I am putting trips on my list based on other trip reports I read. As an example, I want to hike over Kearsarge Pass. The best way for me is to put the plan into action, ie I studied the maps and youtube videos, I requested the time off from work, I reserved a spot at a campground on Hwy 395 that gives me easy travel access to several hikes. I enlisted a couple friends to join me. In the event they have to bail, I feel prepared to hike it by myself.

I think that's a great way to go about it TollerMom. Set the date and go! If not, seems like something always happens to come up...

My trail goal is the same as last year: 10 nights of camping in the backcountry. While it doesn't sound like much, it still took some work to accomplish last year. My second objective which ties in with the first, is to do my first off-trail, random camping this year. I've already talked to the Parks Canada people in Banff and they have given me some suggested areas that are suitable and not too complex to tackle.

Now I just have to find my compass and figure out how to use it. :P

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sounds like a good plan Paul. Are all the trips planned out to meet the quota yet? :D

I guess you would call me a recovering listaholic. Over the years, I was pretty focused on lists: completed all 59 Colorado 14teeners (14,000 ft peaks) in 2005, completed colorado's highest 100 peaks in 2009, started working on the highest 200 after that. Got interrupted in that process with ankle replacement surgery--maybe that was a good thing! I seem to be more focused on climbs/hikes that are more about the fun factor. As Tollermom says, sometimes my interest is tweaked by trip reports or anecdotal reports from others. As I will be retiring next January I will have much more time to devote to these trips!! I seem recently to try to focus on a couple of "big" trips every year, and fill in with other stuff as it comes up (as it always does).

I'd like to climb all the California 14ers (I'll need help with the last few and haven't figured that out yet). That's my only list and I'm not real focused on getting it done.

I plan a couple of big trips each year (last year Mt. Rainier, this year John Muir Trail) and that keeps me motivated to stay in shape. Besides that I'm part of a volunteer organization that clears local trails. Guys in that group plan a lot of trips and I'm able to join one or two a month.

Sounds like a good plan Paul. Are all the trips planned out to meet the quota yet? :D

I'm getting close Aaron. I've started filling out my backcountry application for Glacier National Park and if I get the dates in September I want will meet my goal for the year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to spend four days this summer hiking in the White Mountains. Start at route 3 and hike to route 302 using the hut systems. It is a section of the AT I still need and there are a number of NH 4000 footers available to summit for the 111ers.