Trail Goals and Lists

Aaron Zagrodnick

In the Catskills of New York, there are 35 peaks above 3500 feet and a club that awards a pack once you have done all 35, plus redoing a specific four peaks again during winter. There is a winter patch for doing all 35 during the winter season. I have done both. There is an unofficial goal called the grid. that includes doing all 35 peaks in each month of the year. 420 summits in total with no time limit. any time I go for a hike in the Catskills, I check which peaks I still need for the month I am hiking in. Good excuse to visit the different peaks instead of always going to your favorite ones.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulGS

• Aaron Zagrodnick

• bobrick

• toejam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tmountainnut

funny how the folks out west want to bag 14k footers, and we in New England look for 4k footers!

every mountain range has its list. Colorado and California has its 14ers, the rest have their high points.

I've got 4 Colorado 14ers left, and I've been pretty lazy this winter, so i haven't done any since last October. I'm hoping to finish off the Colorado ones before the 4th of July, and start working on the California peaks, starting with Shasta in May. Really i'm just wanting to get the southern California 14ers first (Langley and the Whitney zone ones) since the Whitney zone requires reserved permits. After I get those, my next big goal out there will be the North Palisade traverse, and then the rest of the sierra 14ers and white mountain.

Otherwise, i've got some desert goals this spring, and i will be climbing Mt Saint Helens in May too. I hope to section hike the Colorado Trail this summer and maybe "finish" the eastern ~20 miles of the Uinta highline trail that i haven't hiked yet. Also the Wind River Highline trail is a big goal this summer too. :-)

-Ted

I'm going to try and find time to section hike the entire Ouachita trail over the course of the next year. Pretty doable as long as I can find the time to take off of work and drive down there a couple of times while also taking time for a couple of other trips.

Bucket list item: I want to backpack in all 50 states. I have a lot of work to do on this one, yet. If anyone has ideas for Delaware, Rhode Island, Iowa or Nebraska I'd love any suggestions!

Short term, my goal this year is to not get eaten by a bear while at Denali National Park in Alaska. Sounds kind of lame, but I really don't like bears - I lay awake at night in my tent and analyze every noise outside, wondering if some bear is going to turn me into a burrito. Long term, I'd love to do the entire JMT, but I'll have to wait a few years to accumulate enough vacation days to be able to do it.

I would like to do the JMT myself. I am expecting to retire within the next year, so I will have plenty of time, but then the money issue kicks in.

I would like to do the JMT myself. I am expecting to retire within the next year, so I will have plenty of time, but then the money issue kicks in.

Long term, I'd love to do the entire JMT, but I'll have to wait a few years to accumulate enough vacation days to be able to do it.

I also plan to hike the entire JMT in one trip. The company I got hired at last year allows associates to take a five week sabbatical every seven years. Needless to say, I started my countdown as soon as I became aware of this benefit. Five years 290 days left! lol

The JMT is my big trip this year. Permit reservations are crazy due to word getting out to people who never backpack but like to check things off a list. I'm going with an old friend, but I think ideally you just show up solo at Yosemite Valley, get whatever permit you can get, hike how you want to hike, meet who you want to meet, take any side trail you are interested in and all the time you need. I'm taking 3 weeks - wish I could take 4.

I'm also planning to retire soon--I have given notice with a date: February 3, 2016!!! Will also then have lots of time, but not quite as much $.

We've got a bunch of goals. Already crossed off a backpacking trip to Death Valley, and we also have Peru and the east side of the Sierra on the list for 2015