Hiking boot...waterproof or not?

JHaveman

I am going to get some mid-hikers. But I wonder if I should go waterproof or not. I will be hiking in RMNP and Teton in August - of course I will also be doing some hiking locally this spring. What are your thoughts?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

For that time of year I'd go for the breathability and faster dry time of a non-waterproof variety...Which shoes are you looking at?

If you can afford it get both. Depending on the type of trail I'm hiking not the weather so much. Like say hiking a wide open well worn path a trail runner would be my choice. But if I'm hiking more of a wet brush covered bush wacken trail I'd like more of a tougher type shoe like a Merrell Moab Ventilator. Still not water proof though.

I wear my Merrell low Gore Tex shoes ever day in the winter here to keep my feet dry. Only time I wear waterproof shoes.

Great article, seano. Magazine articles about trail runners are always a little frustrating to me because I rarely see any of those shoes in local stores. I fantasize about finding a pair of Brooks Cascadias that fit me discounted in a local store.

for short trips waterproof boots can be fine, but if you're out there more than a week or two, trail runners are much preferred, as they dry out quickly. waterproof boots arent really waterproof, because they dont breathe, regardless of what type of goretex or membrane used. the pores get clogged from dirt salt and sweat, and your feet sweat. they take forever to dry and as a result take on too much water weight.

Great article, seano. Magazine articles about trail runners are always a little frustrating to me because I rarely see any of those shoes in local stores.

Thanks! Finding affordable trail runners can be tough, so hopefully the article will help you better evaluate what you can find. I wish I had bought as many pairs of Crossleathers and MT-101s as I could afford back when they were on sale as "last year's model."

Im looking at a pair of Merrell's right now. I like the fit and feel of the All Out Blaze. However, a fellow I was talking to at a local shop said they don't have enough support for backpacking and I would feel every rock I stepped on, but really, what is enough support? Is this something that is really just personal preference? For example, mid vs. low, waterproof vs. non, etc.?

most outfitters think you need ankle high boots to offer support. in reality, they offer little or no support, not any better than a good low cut shoe.

i use green superfeet insoles in my la sportiva ultra raptor trail runners to give me more arch support, and it also provides more protection in the forefoot against rocks, roots.