looking to up my game

Briancaruso1190

Briancaruso1190

Im in a never ending quest for the perfect loadout. Looking to upgrade some gear and possibly add some new stuff. Looking for some suggestions for items you couldnt leave without. Side note, water filtration any suggestion you have for that would be great

I actually bought a Sawyer Mini earlier this year. I absolutely love the weight and how small it is! I haven't used it in the field yet, but I have picked up on a few things I wasn't too crazy about when I was testing it at home. I continuously hear that the bottles provided by Sawyer aren't very durable. As a result, I wanted to use one of the collapsible Platypus bottles I have, since these things have taken abuse very well. A lot of sources said that bottles with a standard top (28 mm thread) would fit, but I felt like I was going to either strip the threads out or have water shooting out of the side of the connection when I squeezed the bottle. I ended up doing some self modifications with a few pieces of old hosing I had and some quick release valves that I think will make it work a little more securely, but I still don't trust it over my old filter. Another aspect that didn't work as well as I expected was the pressure that was needed to push the water through the Sawyer. I had this dream, and maybe it was unrealistic, of being able to rig the Mini into a type of gravity filter, but it really does require some pressure to be applied to the bottle. I will probably only carry the Sawyer when I go UL. I've considered just using tablets, but as an American I want my clean water right now, not in twenty minutes. :)

I would strongly recommend my other filter, though. I purchased a Katadyn Hiker back in 2009 for my first backpack trip ever and I absolutely love the thing. I have replaced the filter twice; it is super easy and the replacement filter is actually the upgraded one for the Pro. That being said, after replacing the filter the only difference between the Hiker and Hiker pro is the quick release features. I also put a lot of confidence in this filter since it has basically been the same design for like twenty years. I think the only thing that has really changed is the materials. Either way, I've never gotten sick drinking water in the backcountry and I haven't broken the thing after several adventures that included dropped packs and hard slips/falls. It may be a bit heavier than other options (haven't looked into it too much), but it will last a forever.

AdventureMyk

I can't say much for other systems as I lack the hands-on experience but so far a year and roughly 35 camping runs with my Platypus Gravity Works 4-liter and I couldn't be happier. Super simple, very fast, weighs very little and gives you a few options in how much water to use and, if necessary, to carry with you into dry area's. (Yes, you can carry up to 8 liters of water into the badlands!) It's not the cheapest but it works very, very well.

Briancaruso1190

I was looking at the sawyer yesterday as well as the next size up version, you say it won't connect well to a platypus bag? Also do you have a picture of

the set up you made?

I was looking at the sawyer yesterday as well as the next size up version, you say it won't connect well to a platypus bag? Also do you have a picture of

the set up you made?

That is correct. The Platypus bottles I have, at least, and I don't think they have changed the threading. I know that you can buy larger bags specifically for the Sawyer, and I can't say from experience, I just haven't heard anything good about them.

For the modification, I bought this: http://www.rei.com/product/858765/sawyer-fast-fill-hydration-pack-adapter-kit , I found that this cap fit much more securely to the Platypus. Here's the picture:

post-1451-143508724242_thumb.jpg.jpg]

When I was pulling up the above link, I found this: http://www.rei.com/product/837889/sawyer-inline-adapter-water-filter-connections , which looks like it would be even more secure.

post-1451-143508724254_thumb.jpg

Briancaruso1190

Thanks man I think I will check that out seems like for the money it might be alright for ultra light like you said.

AdventureMyk

A lot of people love the Sawyer especially as they are smaller and cheaper. They were just coming out with some mixed reviews when I got the Platy but I think most of the reviews were based on confusion between the types of Sawyers, never any actual problems with them. Okay, one problem, if you don't remember to back-flush it with each use (simply let about 1/8th to a 1/4 go backwards to clean out the filter) it can gum up pretty quickly. Five seconds of back flushing = no problems! It's the same with my Platypus in that I always run her a little backwards.

On either of them if the flow seems a little slow it probably has air bubbles. Simply up-end the 'clear' bag until the bubbles stop, then drop it back below the dirty bag and you should have your speed back. If not, the filter is probably clogged. It doesn't matter the brand as all filters *can* get clogged but with some common sense it doesn't usually happen.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I'm using the Sawyer SP122 - I like the quick disconnects since I need to disassemble my system on most nights and throw the filter in my sleeping bag to make sure it doesn't freeze. I use it inline with a hydration hose on the trail, and as a gravity filter in camp. Pretty much the same configuration as detailed here:

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue3.html?autoflip=17

The main thing I don't like is the lack of an integrity test on the filter...Something that's nice about the GravityWorks system is that there is a manufacturer approved integrity test and I've actually considered using just the cartridge alone for that feature.

AdventureMyk - How do you like the zip type opening on your GravityWorks system? I use the Platypus Hoser in my setup to save weight, but it can take a while to fill...Although with the way I have everything setup, it does make it easy to utilize a prefilter.

I still really like my MSR Hyperflow filter. It may weight slightly more than some other options, but you can put a lot of water through it in a very short time and you do have the ability to check for filter failure. There wouldn't be any hesitation to buy it again. I like it way better than the Katadyn Hiker which we also have.

AdventureMyk

The zip system is a little stiff at first but the good news is that once it's closed it holds all 4 liters even if you are shaking, swinging, etc. It's meant to be stout enough to carry four liters of dirty water on a hike (with the other 4 clean). The other perk I like is that you have a huge opening to fill it with. Got a nice little cascade? Takes about 2-5 seconds to fill it depending on how fast the water flows. No cascade? Just dunk it in the water or use a cup and pour it. No fiddling with tiny openings. So far I haven't found one thing I don't like about it and I'm a bit of a nitpicking gear geek. :)