Media 21: My First Summer in the Sierra

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

“No Sierra landscape that I have seen holds anything truly dead or dull, or any trace of what in manufactories is called rubbish or waste; everything is perfectly clean and pure and full of divine lessons… When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.”

These words - some of Muir’s most famous - are just a few of the many gems of My First Summer in The Sierra. Muir’s 1911 book traces his summer as a sheepherder in the Sierra, discovering and delighting in the smallest flowers and largest mountains. Muir’s delight is infectious, and had a huge impact on the history of preservation and management of wild lands in the United States. Whether or not this article inspires you to read the book, I hope to offer a working knowledge of Muir’s influence in his time, and his relevance for contemporary readers…

In Issue 21, Adrienne Marshall writes on John Muir’s My First Summer in the Sierra – Take a look below:

My First Summer in the Sierra: an Education and Inspiration

John Muir - My First Summer in the Sierra

Issue 21 Page 1

• 1 year later...

I followed in Muir's footsteps in 1974 while doing an environmental study for the NPS in Yosemite.  We got tours of the sawmill and places Muir used to hang out by the Park Superintendent.  Doing research in the Park library I referenced several books for a report that had Muir's signature on the front page.