In the Moment

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

This spring, again I found the call of the desert a driving force in my mind. An eleven hour drive across the southwest had led me to a very ambitious goal for a backpacking trip. The Plan: nearly 20 miles a day through a very remote area, on primitive trails that require frequent route finding, all to squeeze the most adventure into my limited vacation time as possible. Not everyone is bound to the ever increasing time constraints of a single father, but many have to plan their time according to their urban life schedules. I had even added an entire extra day for driving, eliminating the need for a caffeine fueled race through the night to be back in time for but another work day. Yet still I felt like I was there to perform a mission, not to enjoy the experience, even though I had planned the entire trip myself...

Ted Ehrlich on what it’s like to capture the moment, and not just with a camera. Read the article below in Issue 21:

In the Moment

Backpacking in the Southwest

Issue 21 Page 1

This spring, again I found the call of the desert a driving force in my mind. An eleven hour drive across the southwest had led me to a very ambitious goal for a backpacking trip. The Plan: nearly 20 miles a day through a very remote area, on primitive trails that require frequent route finding, all to squeeze the most adventure into my limited vacation time as possible. Not everyone is bound to the ever increasing time constraints of a single father, but many have to plan their time according to their urban life schedules. I had even added an entire extra day for driving, eliminating the need for a caffeine fueled race through the night to be back in time for but another work day. Yet still I felt like I was there to perform a mission, not to enjoy the experience, even though I had planned the entire trip myself...

Ted Ehrlich on what it’s like to capture the moment, and not just with a camera. Read the article below in Issue 21:

In the Moment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3188[/ATTACH]

Issue 21 Page 1

"No deadlines existed, no goals were being reached. No money needed to be spent, earned, or transferred. The rest of the world was carrying on without me, teeming with everyone else's self interests and objectives. The only thing that mattered in that moment was I."

My thoughts precicely! Very well put by Ted Ehrlich.

Isn't this really why we hike/backpack, to find some miraculous and almost unexplainable way to be In The Moment?

Gary M.

Olathe, Kansas