How did you spend your Easter?

TollerMom

tmountainnut

I didn't do any hiking on Easter, but instead i did a last minute trip up the west side of Pikes Peak the day before with a friend that hadn't climbed Pikes before. It was a beautiful day, but fairly windy above 13k feet. Only saw six people total, only two of them on the upper mountain, and we had the summit to ourselves.

post-68-143508724937_thumb.jpg

post-68-143508724949_thumb.jpg

post-68-143508724926_thumb.jpg

post-68-14350872496_thumb.jpg

post-68-14350872497_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I went on a hike around Lake Jacomo in Western Missouri with my first ever pair of trail runners. I carried my ultra light overnight pack in order to get a good feel for the shoes. They worked out great! I could definitely tell that the soles were much flimsier, and I really felt rocks if I stepped on them the wrong way. Also, the fronts of my ankles are crazy sore - likely just the adjustment period. Looking forward to putting some more miles on them.

I had only planned to do about six miles or so around Lake Tapawingo; however, after being unable to find a map to carry, I ended up hiking around the wrong lake and got in about 16 miles (guess I need some orienting work), at least six of which were bushwhacked. Not sure if bushwhacking and muddy terrain was the best for the trail runner's maiden voyage, but after a few knee to waist high creek crossings, I was pretty happy I wore them since they definitely dried out a lot faster than my Vasque Breeze 2.0s would have.

I was glad it was Easter, too. I came across several picnic shelters with people hanging out for the holiday and having egg hunts for smaller children. After it got a bit later, the people were gone, I was hungry (only brought ramen and two granola bars that were gone in about two hours), and I could see plastic eggs that had definitely been left behind. I guess they were missed by the kids because the eggs were all full of bite-size-candy bars, not something I would pass up as a child. Needless to say, the candy ended up going into the hole in my face.

AdventureMyk

Did an overnight camping from Easter Sunday to today to test out some new gear. Will post a report of it soon, but I think I'll concede that TMount has me trumped in the awesome view department! :)

Froze our buns off in Yosemite backpacking off the Glacier Point road. 21 miles in two days...and no snow to speak of. Then again, a big storm hit last night, so it will be a while before anyone revisits Grouse Lake.

You can read our full trip report on backpackthesierra.com

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Really nice photo(s) TollerMom and tmountainnut! Sounds like everyone had an eventful weekend. I did get a quick trail run in, but I guess the big accomplishment on my side was finally sitting down and getting a list of all the big trips for 2015 planned out...Lots to look forward to!

I went on a hike around Lake Jacomo in Western Missouri with my first ever pair of trail runners. I carried my ultra light overnight pack in order to get a good feel for the shoes. They worked out great! I could definitely tell that the soles were much flimsier, and I really felt rocks if I stepped on them the wrong way. Also, the fronts of my ankles are crazy sore - likely just the adjustment period. Looking forward to putting some more miles on them.

I had only planned to do about six miles or so around Lake Tapawingo; however, after being unable to find a map to carry, I ended up hiking around the wrong lake and got in about 16 miles (guess I need some orienting work), at least six of which were bushwhacked. Not sure if bushwhacking and muddy terrain was the best for the trail runner's maiden voyage, but after a few knee to waist high creek crossings, I was pretty happy I wore them since they definitely dried out a lot faster than my Vasque Breeze 2.0s would have.

I was glad it was Easter, too. I came across several picnic shelters with people hanging out for the holiday and having egg hunts for smaller children. After it got a bit later, the people were gone, I was hungry (only brought ramen and two granola bars that were gone in about two hours), and I could see plastic eggs that had definitely been left behind. I guess they were missed by the kids because the eggs were all full of bite-size-candy bars, not something I would pass up as a child. Needless to say, the candy ended up going into the hole in my face.

Absolutely love the fact that you were able to "scrounge up" some left behind Easter treats! That's a great story, and I'm glad the treats didn't go to waste!

Unfortunately, I had to work............

There should be a law not allowing work to get in the way of a good day of hiking!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Absolutely love the fact that you were able to "scrounge up" some left behind Easter treats! That's a great story, and I'm glad the treats didn't go to waste!

Unfortunately, I had to work............

There should be a law not allowing work to get in the way of a good day of hiking!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Perhaps it would be a little kinder and more PC to call it "scavenge" rather than "scrounge."

I can imagine the kids coming back, seeing you, and asking.........

"Mommy, why does the Easter Bunny have on a pair of trail runners and a backpack?"

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

On Saturday the wife and I went on a nice 15 mile hike on the IAT in the North Kettle Moraine SF. First hike of the year!

post-971-143508725075_thumb.jpg

• Like 1