Trekking poles that do not make "Clicking Noise"...

Hikingonthru

Hikingonthru

Good evening. Was wondering if anyone knew of any collapsible trekking poles that did NOT make the clicking noise when they are used. I have been using and old pair of thrift store ski poles since 1997, but they are bent and on their last leg. Got my son a pair with anti-shock features and he is pretty bothered by the noise. I tried them and found the same thing. Tried some Leki poles a friend had and same story. We are looking for some collapsible/foldable poles that just don't make a lot of noise (other than tips on ground) when used. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Premium Member

Hi Hikingonthru, welcome to the forum! I've been using the Gossamer Gear LT4S trekking poles for several years and they're pretty quiet, here is a TrailGroove review:

https://www.trailgroove.com/issue28.html?autoflip=99

Although these are collapsible, they do not fold, so I'm not sure it is what you are looking for. I also use rubber "boots" on the end of my poles which make them even quieter.

I used a pair of Lekis with anti-shock for 3 years. The noise bothered me more and more. Finally I bought Black Diamond flic-locks without the anti-shock feature. No more irritating noise. s a bonus the flic lock are very easy adjust.

The Black Diamond Distance FL Z-Poles are quiet

Yep. Carbon fiber poles are quieter than aluminum/alloy. They're also stiffer, and yet generally lighter. My carbon fiber Komperdell poles are one of my most prized possessions. On one hike last summer, I swapped poles with a friend who had a new set of very lightweight alloy Komperdell poles, not shock absorbing, almost as light as my carbon fiber poles, maybe at the most 2 oz heavier. I just couldn't take the alloy poles, they were ringy and springy, like noisy metal noodles; I handed back to my friend after perhaps 15 minutes of hiking.