Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid fit question...

deepsun

Anybody have experience with Salewa/this particular model?

I've always worn hiking or approach shoes , but wanted to go with actual boots ahead of some photography assignments (pro photographer, regular explorer) this year and found some on sale locally.

I'm usually an 8.5-9 (US) and tried on a size 9 (last pair closest to my size other than 10) and feel good about the fit, but wanted to be sure, since they don't have a 9.5 left. Tried them on wearing Smartwool, after having walked around for several hours that day. The heel feels awesome, and they're comfortably snug. How much room should I have in the toe box? My big toes have close to 1/4-1/2", but my little toes almost touch.

Thanks!

It's what I'm using. With the laces almost in the toe box, you can adjust it to some degree. I probably have a 100 miles on the pair I bought and very pleased so far. Heavier than a trail shoe but far lighter than a traditional boot with most of the support offered by those. Really like the sole design-good grip going up or down, even in the loose stuff.

It's what I'm using. With the laces almost in the toe box, you can adjust it to some degree. I probably have a 100 miles on the pair I bought and very pleased so far. Heavier than a trail shoe but far lighter than a traditional boot with most of the support offered by those. Really like the sole design-good grip going up or down, even in the loose stuff.

Awesome! I ended up going back to the store because I realized I could try on this year's model in a 9.5 to see if there's a difference. There was too much room (side to side/up and down) in the heel and not much difference in the toe box. I went with size 9. My smallest toe on my right foot (slightly larger than my left) gets touched just barely with pretty thick socks. There's no forward motion downhill, though, so I'm satisfied that these will be comfortable all day long. Thanks!

Awesome! I ended up going back to the store because I realized I could try on this year's model in a 9.5 to see if there's a difference. There was too much room (side to side/up and down) in the heel and not much difference in the toe box. I went with size 9. My smallest toe on my right foot (slightly larger than my left) gets touched just barely with pretty thick socks. There's no forward motion downhill, though, so I'm satisfied that these will be comfortable all day long. Thanks!

I also tried the 15 model (mine are the 14's). The fit for me was very similar. They are slightly lighter. That said, I sent them back. A very audible pop from right behind the toe box with EVERY step. Put about 30 miles on them and decided I couldn't live with the sound effects. Should be getting their replacements but unless there was some change on the design, the problem will likely remain and I will be sticking to last years model.