Choosing a backpacking tent

rogueodyssey

rogueodyssey

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for a little help. I'm in search of a backpacking tent that I can use on everything from the PCT to Patagonia.

I submit to the quality over quantity mindset, so I am willing to spend on something that will last me a good while. I have been searching the internet the last few days and right now I am looking at the MSR hubba hubba NX, Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2, and the Hilleberg Enan.

I don't plan on using the tent above the tree line but I do want something that will withstand harsh wind. Can one tent do it all while being light enough to pack with for weeks on end?

[h=1][/h]

If I'm packing for weeks on end, I'm not taking a 2-man tent. Tarptent Rainbow would be at the top of my list. I like the Hubba Hubba, but I like the Copper Spur better. My tent is a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo and it's a lot lighter than any of these.

I own both a Copper Spur UL1 and UL2--take the UL1 if I want my own space (have owned that for 2 years), or the UL2 if I will be sharing (have owned that for 6 years). I love them both. It's also possible to use a fly only option with the UL2 that reduces its weight to that of the UL1. I have tried other tents, but have yet to find one that I prefer to these 2. Both very durable, easy pitch and low weight. BA has been making both for a number of years, and they have it figures out! Can't go wrong with them, although they aren't the cheapest tents out there. I have never regretted spending the bucks for them.

rogueodyssey

I own both a Copper Spur UL1 and UL2--take the UL1 if I want my own space (have owned that for 2 years), or the UL2 if I will be sharing (have owned that for 6 years). I love them both. It's also possible to use a fly only option with the UL2 that reduces its weight to that of the UL1. I have tried other tents, but have yet to find one that I prefer to these 2. Both very durable, easy pitch and low weight. BA has been making both for a number of years, and they have it figures out! Can't go wrong with them, although they aren't the cheapest tents out there. I have never regretted spending the bucks for them.

Thanks for the insight fellas,

Do you have any experience with the BA UL 1 or 2 in high winds? Are the factory stakes pretty good or did you upgrade to something else?

Toejam, is the TT Rainbow durable enough for a through hike and high winds?

Have been in 30mph winds with the UL2 without issue, not sure as to highest winds with the UL1. The key is to always stake out all of the guy points, and suspect you would have no issues with even higher winds. The profile of the UL2 would probably resist higher winds a bit better. I have always used the factory stakes, they seem to do fine.

rogueodyssey

Have been in 30mph winds with the UL2 without issue, not sure as to highest winds with the UL1. The key is to always stake out all of the guy points, and suspect you would have no issues with even higher winds. The profile of the UL2 would probably resist higher winds a bit better. I have always used the factory stakes, they seem to do fine.

Thanks for the information John, this helps in my decision

I have a friend who bought a TT Rainbow for the PCT and he's still using it 2 years later. None of these lightweight tents are great in the wind - they have all that nice headroom. You've gotta be careful about how you set them up, have some cord to guy them out and some good stakes like MSR Groundhogs. Of the hundreds of nights I've spent in a tent, wind has only been an issue a couple of times. Be more concerned with comfortable and light.

rogueodyssey

I have a friend who bought a TT Rainbow for the PCT and he's still using it 2 years later. None of these lightweight tents are great in the wind - they have all that nice headroom. You've gotta be careful about how you set them up, have some cord to guy them out and some good stakes like MSR Groundhogs. Of the hundreds of nights I've spent in a tent, wind has only been an issue a couple of times. Be more concerned with comfortable and light.

funny...I was just looking at that tent, thanks for the advice Toejam

My wife and I spent more than a little time over the winter looking at light weight tent options and finally purchased the Copper Spur UL3 (we have two canines and the UL2 would have been a little too cozy). I did add a few ounces with 4 more stakes/guys for the corners but think it is going to work very well. Even a 3-4 season tent is going to have problems in high wind if inadequately guyed-don't ask me how I know that.

AdventureMyk

I run a Big Agnes Slater UL3 which is probably serious overkill for most people but I wanted the huge (nearly 1/3rd the size of the tent) extra vestibule for gear. It's very close to the Copper Spur UL3 (save for the doors being on side and foot instead of both sides) and the quality is outstanding. BA is one of those few brands that really is worth what you pay and a few years down the line you can still sell them for more than 50% of what you paid if you take care of them. Most tents once you buy it you own it. I don't have any experience with the TarpTent lines but I like the way some of them look in terms of size/features/weight and I can't remember ever reading a bad review on them. Either way you go, good luck and have a blast!