Hello from San Diego

ajreynolds

ajreynolds

Greetings all,

My son has recently joined Boy Scouts and I've been out of the loop since I was a scout many years ago. Now I'm getting interested in getting back into hiking and backpacking. So many questions about the gear available now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to TrailGroove ajreynolds, let us know if there's anything we can do to help with the process!

Greetings all,

My son has recently joined Boy Scouts and I've been out of the loop since I was a scout many years ago. Now I'm getting interested in getting back into hiking and backpacking. So many questions about the gear available now.

If you've been away from hiking/backpacking for some time, you'll be amazed by the many high quality options available today. This forum is a great source of information on gear, lots of folks with a whole lot of experience and expertise. My suggestion is to take your time before spending a lot of money on gear. Do a lot of research so you only have to buy things once, i.e. a quality tent should last a very long time, just be sure to get the right one so you don't have to buy another next year.

If your son is new to scouts, he'll probably just be car camping for several years before graduating to backpacking. I loved scouts with my two sons. Have fun!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M

Welcome to the Forum! I got involved with backpacking thru my son who was a Boy Scout and is now a Venturer. We've done a couple of High Adventure trips to Philmont - that's a great place to be introduced to backpacking and a great experience all around. My son has been a Ranger there for the past 3 years and loves it! As Gary stated, take your time learning about the new kinds of gear before spending money. There are a lot of options now. Good luck!