Backpacking Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The Pictured Rocks Lakeshore Trail is one of the best coastal hikes in the United States. This 42 mile trail has been called one of the crown jewels of America’s longest National Scenic Trail, the North Country Trail – a trail that runs from North Dakota and will soon terminate in Vermont. The Lakeshore Trail includes a variety of coastal features including sand dunes, a remote wilderness beach, and impressive cliffs high above Lake Superior. The trail is located in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula between Munising and Grand Marais…

Eric Moll details this trip along the shores of Lake Superior, read the full article below in Issue 22:

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Trail: Spectacular Lake Superior Coastal Scenery

Backpacking and Hiking Pictured Rocks Lakeshore Michigan

Issue 22 Page 1

Beautiful pictures! I have backcountry permits for September and am very much looking forward to the hike. I've been to Pictures Rocks before and have day hike but this will be my first backpack outing there.

• 2 weeks later...
slosteppin

My first backpacking trip, 35 years ago, was Grand Marais to Tahquamenon Falls. I carried way too much weight. The mosquitos got bad and the black flies got worse. I between all the misery it was great hike. No permits needed back hen.

• 10 months later...

I went with a couple guys and backpacked the perimeter Grand Island which was wonderful! Up the West side of the Island there were some views of the pictured rocks and it was fairly secluded, which was great. However, the mosquitoes were unbearable along the east side of the island the trail moved inland, meaning minimal lookout points. Overall the camp sites were great and the beach at the North point was absolutely stunning, you just want to get there early in the morning before the black flies get real bad. 

Edited by Owleyes