Quilt

rogueodyssey

rogueodyssey

I was reading through a thread and someone mentioned an Enlightened Equipment quilt. Well I got to looking at their products and thought that i might give the revelation quilt a try. My primary use for the quilt would be summertime backpacking in the Cascades. I was thinking about ordering a 40 degree quilt for summer and using my 20 degree bag during the colder months. I have never used a down quilt in the field, thoughts?

I've got an EE and prefer it over a sleeping bag .... it's just like using a comforter at home, you tuck the edges underneath you .... I got the extra wide version but probably didn't need to .... also much more versatile, works better in a hammock and easier to cool off it gets hot .... I say go for it! I was going to get a 30 but went for 20 .... the weight difference is about 2 or 3 ounces between that and 30... roughly? Don't quote me on that ... had a spreadsheet at the time ... anyways ... There are two under straps, I sometimes use the one in the middle but rarely use one that is closer to your shoulders ... just don't need it ... hope this helps!

Shaun Squid

I have one and love it. One thing I would do differently if I bought one again is get the long version so I could cover up my head a little better. I use it in a hammock and could not recommend it more.

rogueodyssey

Thanks for the reply's....I'm going to go ahead and order a long revelation quilt, I'll post a review about it after I have had a chance to run it through the ringer.

• 2 weeks later...
rogueodyssey

Add a zipper and what do you have?

I agree that with a zipper a quilt is similar to a sleeping bag, but that depends if you have a footbox sewn in or not. I like the versatility of a quilt being able to use it as a bag or as a quilt. I've slept with a poncho liner (woobie) for years so I naturally gravitate to something that drapes over me, to each their own I suppose.

Since you're new to quilts IMO experimenting w/ one during summer makes the most sense as you travel the learning curve.

Have two EE quilts which I can't give enough praise about. Next on my list is splurging for a colder rated Katabatic Palisades quilt. IMO how a quilt works w/ your pad/attaches to your pad is crucial in sleeping soundly without undue drafts. IMO both EE and Katabatic have THE BEST attachment system I'm aware of.

Add a zipper and what do you have?

In addition to no zipper, you also don't have compressed down underneath you .... which serves no purpose as it can't insulate compressed .... so taking the zipper off and having less material altogether as it doesn't need to go all the way around your body equals less weight and more versatility. You also have more footbox options as you can usually have a zippable footbox and sometimes even a drawstring cord at your feet if you want to open up the end ....You also can't open up most sleeping bags up like you can a quilt as the footbox is usually not fully zippable .... so if you're thinking a quilt is just a sleeping bag with no zipper, you need to give one a shot .... and it will make probably make more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Highly enjoying my EE Rev quilt. Its 30 degree and perfect for spring, summer,early fall. I stopped using the pad straps and just tuck around if needed.

Eyeing Zpacks for a 10 dergree. I sleep cold.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick
On 6/27/2015 at 7:21 PM, LionDog said:

Highly enjoying my EE Rev quilt. Its 30 degree and perfect for spring, summer,early fall. I stopped using the pad straps and just tuck around if needed.

Eyeing Zpacks for a 10 dergree. I sleep cold.

Still really happy with my ZPacks 20 degree. (Bag) I don't sleep particularly warm either and find that it's pretty much true to its rating...if I wear everything I carry it's good for quite a bit lower. There's not much weight increase between the ratings they offer though, and I'd rather carry a couple extra ounces all day and be warm that night than the other way around. :) Once it gets to around freezing or below I do find an extra insulating hood is essential however, in addition to any hood I might already be using with a down parka.