Backpacking in Cohutta Wilderness - Look over my route.

K2 Travels

K2 Travels

I am planning a 3 day backpacking trip to the Cohutta Wilderness area. My planned course will be starting near Betty Gap on Conasauga River Trail. I will take Conasauga River Trail to Panther Creek Trail. I plan to camp at the top of Panther Creek Falls for night 1. Day 2 I plan to hike Northeast on Panther Creek Trail to East Cowpen Trial. On East Cowpen trail I plan to go Northeast on Hickory Ridge Trail. I plan to take Hickory Ridge Trail to Jacks River Trail, where I will go Northwest a short distance until I reach the falls. From the Jacks River Falls I plan to retrace my tracks and finish Jacks River Trail (ending near Dally Gap), camping whenever the mood strikes, leaving maybe 5 miles for day 3.

Any tips or different route ideas would be appreciated. Two things that I really wanted to do on this trip was to camp on top of Panther Creek Falls and to reach Jacks River Falls between the hours of 12-5pm EST. I am open to any route or loop under 30 miles.

Thanks,

K2

• 1 year later...

sounds great, if you are going in the summer the climb up the rock scree at panther creek falls is notorious for copperheads....keep your eyes open.....the view from the top is stunning...