Training for Kilimanjaro

aguerra.1993

aguerra.1993

Hello everyone, I am beginning to save for a trek to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in the next year and a half or so and want to know if you guys have any mountains you can recommend in the USA to get my training started. I have never done any mountaineering but reading on Kilimanjaro and seeing it is more of a trek, I'm wondering what kind of trails I can practice on and start getting my body used to higher elevations. Thanks!

aguerra.1993

Where are you located? Would help to know what's in easy commute range for you. In general, just consistently getting to higher altitudes in the 6 months prior to your trip will help, but in the year leading up to that, I would suggest just ramping up your aerobic conditioning in general.

aguerra.1993

I'm located in Memphis but I don't mind travelling. I'll be in Arizona from August to December and then probably back here, if not possibly the Pacific Northwest somewhere.

Humphreys Peak in Arizona for sure. A nice long slog and enough altitude to feel it. Any and all of the 14ers in Colorado, but any tall peak that stands alone like Humphreys - West Spanish Peak in CO for example. If you make it to the PNW, Mt. Adams would be the perfect snowy slog. If you get on a guided Mt. Rainier climb they will teach you a lot. Rainier is more technical than Kili.

Most people have no problem dealing with altitude. I think it's something you can learn. I would not be afraid to hike to 19,000' because I've been to 14,000' a bunch of times. Some will tell you that altitude sickness is like russian roulette and you never know when your head will explode. My experience is that it always has an effect but is not a problem with some experience and good fitness. So get out there and get high!

aguerra.1993

Yeah I'm not too worried about high altitude but I'd like to experience it. I've been from sea level living in Puerto Rico to Bogota Colombia, which is like 8,000 ft and didn't feel any difference. I like to think my body is pretty adaptable but I won't know for sure until I try. Thanks for the help, I'll definitely do the one in Arizona and I'm trying to make it to Colorado while I'm out there as well.

WE were in the Andes earlier this year, up to almost 16,000 feet. I would not underestimate the impact of altitude. A young woman with us who had spent a month in Cuzco and was in great shape had some serious problems at the pass on our trip.

I would recommend four thing that will help you:

1. Get in great shape. It will help you breathe better, and enjoy the experience. And make sure you train in longer intervals...at least two hours. Half of getting up a mountain is understanding your pace--the rate you can climb for extended periods of time.

2. Get acclimated. This may be harder to do in Africa, but we spent some time at 10,000 feet in Peru, and then worked up to 16,000 over three days of hiking.

3. Take it slow, especially at first, on the ascent. The first hour of hiking helps get your body used to the low oxygen levels. Give it time to take effect. If you start too quickly, you can burn out.

4, Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. The symptoms of Altitude Sickness and Dehydration can be similar, and complementary. Getting enough water is critical to keeping yourself in top form....and this is not always easy in distant lands, where water is problematic....

I would echo balzaccom's advice above--very definitely #4 (HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!!). I find spending time at altitude in the few months leading up to your trip is extremely helpful. Don't underestimate the effect of altitude.

One of my bros and myself were bent on summiting Mt K a few yrs ago. We wanted to experience it as seasoned peak baggers by blitzing it in short duration sandwiched between two U.S. holidays carrying all our own gear and making our own food NOT by joining a group eco tour, which is how the vast majority experience it. We opted out because we felt the eco tour experience, while it had definite benefits(obtaining permits, logistics, little wt personally carried, armed guards, botanists/biologists to identify plant/animals, etc) took out some of the adventure and freedom to explore and adhere to our own agenda. We also felt we had not enough time to put it all together to do it our way taking a longer route; this is also possible - not having all the porters, etc. Research it online at sites like summitpost.org.

By all means, get some 12k+ peakbagging under your belt pre Mt. K(don't rule out the 13k+ peaks in New Mexico either), consider what was shared here, and peruse the peakbagging sites such as summitpost.org for tips on avoiding altitude sickness because there definitely are some things to avoid and to do to lower the risks of possibly experiencing it.

BTW, if you're doing it the eco tour way it's well organized. They will take longer to summit but organize it to avoid AS and provide info on how to avoid it pre hike also providing an experience that seeks to acclimate the summiter en route while also providing and carrying the majority of what you need ie; you have to be concerned only with getting your arse up to the summit not a ton of gear and food and cooking and sheltering, etc

• 1 month later...

I agree with balzaccom its essential that you get into shape and hydrate. I climbed Mt K a few years ago with a group of friends. I was fairly young and we took the easy route (but it was still work). Get to know your pace and how much you can endure. Are you carrying your own stuff up the mountain or getting porters to do it for you? (If its the former, get used to hiking with a huge load so build on on your strength). Also get your mind right. Its not only physical but also mental.