Some questions about being prepared for bears

mgp2675

Hello everyone. My name is Matt, I live in northern NJ and I've been an avid hiker for a few years now. I started about 14 years ago. I usually hike alone being that I can only get my girlfriend to come once in a while. I really enjoy hiking alone to be honest, it's peaceful and I can go at my own pace. Anyway, last week I had a few others with me and these two guys on the trail told me to be careful because there was a black bear about a quarter mile down the trail. I had already been on this trail before and I knew my way around, so I hiked onward. I didn't see the bear they had mentioned, but I did appreciate the heads up.

So this got me thinking. A guy was killed back in September 2014 by a black bear in NJ, if you didn't hear about it you can click this link: http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2014/11/hiker_snapped_pictures_of_bear_before_fatal_attack_in_west_milford.html

I think this was the first or one of the first human deaths by a bear in NJ maybe ever, and I know it doesn't happen often. I have been hiking many, many times and I myself have actually never seen a bear on a hike. So I'm not incredibly alarmed, but I want to be prepared should something happen.

I bought a bear spray from UDAP, it has a 30-foot range and I bought the holster for it too. My dad has had the same one for a few years and he has never had to use it. Obviously I wouldn't plan on using it unless I really had to. So my questions for you are as follows:

-Those of you that have seen bears, have they ever appeared to be threatening?

-Do you carry bear spray, and if so have you ever used it? Is it effective?

Thanks if you can take the time to read and respond. I always like to be better safe than sorry. I know not to run. I know not to carry food where a bear can smell it and I know to try and keep a safe distance. This is a huge joy of mine and I just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Matt

Rule #1 Never run from a bear, they will definitely chase you down. Everything I read about the NJ attack suggested that the hikers panicked and ran. Stand your ground and make noises and black bears will run away. If you pay attention (don't hike with headphones on), then you are less likely to surprise a bear. If you hear/see one, make lots of noise (clap your hands, blow a whistle, yell) and it will probably move very quickly away from you.

Every black bear I have seen (in the Smokies and in Kittatinny in NJ) was either afraid of me and immediately ran away or was completely uninterested in me until I made noises and then they ran away. On the AT in Kittatinny a couple summers ago, there was a mamma bear up one tree and 2 cubs up another tree on either side of the trail. I don't think mom ever noticed me and the cubs didn't care.

I carried spray once in Alaska, never used it. I would not bother carrying it in black bear country.

hope that helps

I actually saw my first bear in the Pecos Wilderness last week! I was hiking with three others, I was second in line. We were following a creek and rounded a corner when I saw the bear jump the creek from our side to the other and start to run away from us. When I realized what it was I yelled, "HEY BEAR," and he stopped to turn and take a look at us. I was able to get a few pictures of him/her too.post-1451-143508725741_thumb.jpg

When I hike in areas known for bears I carry a little .22 handgun with a just few rounds in it. I have zero intentions of ever shooting at wildlife; it it pretty much just as a noise maker to make them think twice if they do charge.

• Like 1

Over the decades, I've been face to face with several black bears and have yet to have a problem with them with the possible exception of Yellowstone bears back in the 60's. A few moments of doubt on a couple of those, but it always ended well for all parties.

Bear spray is by all accounts very effective, even on grizzles. Not 100%, but nothing else is either. Bear spray should involve some practice but certainly does not take the same skill level as a handgun. UDAP has a trailer with a mechanical practice bear that hits the outdoor show circuit. If you have the opportunity to utilize it, absolutely do so. It will give you a good idea how short your reaction time needs to be-and it definitely needs to be short.

I actually saw my first bear in the Pecos Wilderness last week! I was hiking with three others, I was second in line. We were following a creek and rounded a corner when I saw the bear jump the creek from our side to the other and start to run away from us. When I realized what it was I yelled, "HEY BEAR," and he stopped to turn and take a look at us. I was able to get a few pictures of him/her too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3322[/ATTACH]

When I hike in areas known for bears I carry a little .22 handgun with a just few rounds in it. I have zero intentions of ever shooting at wildlife; it it pretty much just as a noise maker to make them think twice if they do charge.

That is a better bear picture than you usually get in the woods. As for the 22, just save some weight and leave it home. All it will do to even a black bear is make it REALLY angry. Sort of an invitation card to get chewed on. My minimum bear gun is a 44 magnum with at least 320 grain slugs. Those are REALLY unpleasant to shoot. But I always have a handgun (and bear spray) backpacking here because there are also grizzles-either a 44 mag or the 500 mag. And if you are going to pack a handgun, even a 500 mag isn't going to do you any good if you can't reliably hit were you want too. That takes a lot of persistent practice. Hours of range time.

Thanks for the replies. I would never want to harm a bear, however they are wild animals and I wouldn't want them harming me. As I've never seen one I do consider myself somewhat naive.

It depends a lot on the bears in the area. Bears are naturally afraid of people, but are curious and can learn quickly that they can get food from people. Bad bears are most often seen in the vicinity of trash cans & bird feeders.

In my local wilderness there are tons of bears and I see them regularly. But none of the savvy locals worry about them and usually sleep with their food in the tent. I'm the only guy I know around here who routinely hangs food in a tree. The bears always run from us and we don't know of any incidents where bears stole hikers' food. If that happens, people will start acting differently. We all carry bear canisters in the Sierra Nevada where it's required. I never worry about bears and sleep soundly in bear country.

I wouldn't worry about bears and would consider myself lucky to see them. But check with the park/forest you are camping in and find out what is required. Bad bears get reported and parks/forests put out warnings and sometimes some kind of restriction. Ask the people who work there what you should do.

I actually saw my first bear in the Pecos Wilderness last week!

I've got a lot of fond memories of the Pecos wilderness, but I never saw a bear. Hope you post a trip report.

A .22, seriously?

Before the lead up to "... I want to be prepared should something happen" accept your role in that your behavior as a human has a direct outcome on bear encounters and even IF those encounters ever lead to "something negatively happening." Often, we only hear or read about negative bear encounters as if they somehow fell out of the sky as if no human behavior was ever involved. Too often during the fear mongering sensationalism in human centric reporting questionable human behavior is omitted as if it has no bearing on these encounters. It's almost exclusively reported on a bias often describing the "bear problem or "bad bears." Often, only at the end of these reports, if at all, do we get the full accounting of these events. When we do get the full accounting almost inexorably we can find some "bad human behavior(ie; ignorant human centric behavior) that led up to the negative bear encounter.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/smoky-mountains-bear-attack-ohio-teen-pulled-from-hammock-in-national-park

Before the lead up to "... I want to be prepared should something happen" accept your role in that your behavior as a human has a direct outcome on bear encounters and even IF those encounters ever lead to "something negatively happening." Often, we only hear or read about negative bear encounters as if they somehow fell out of the sky as if no human behavior was ever involved. Too often during the fear mongering sensationalism in human centric reporting questionable human behavior is omitted as if it has no bearing on these encounters. It's almost exclusively reported on a bias often describing the "bear problem or "bad bears." Often, only at the end of these reports, if at all, do we get the full accounting of these events. When we do get the full accounting almost inexorably we can find some "bad human behavior(ie; ignorant human centric behavior) that led up to the negative bear encounter.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/smoky-mountains-bear-attack-ohio-teen-pulled-from-hammock-in-national-park

While I do believe a high percentage of bear "incidents" are the direct result of naive/careless human behavior and can be avoided or minimized, not all bear incidents fit that category. The only way to completely avoid them is to never venture anywhere bears are present. Sooooo, it's just another life style compromise one must make. Follow proper bear county etiquette but absolutely "be prepared should something happen". To me, bear spray/handguns are no different than a life or auto insurance policy. Something you don't ever expect to use, but very necessary.

• Like 1

I backpack and hike mostly alone in New Mexico and Southern Colorado and have encountered bears probably a half dozen times that I know of. Half the time they turn and walk away and the other half they turned and ran away. I don't carry anything but a small pocket knife and its for repairing hiking gear or my tent, etc...When I go backpacking I always take my bear canister. I prepare my meals away from my tent and nothing with an odor goes in my tent. The most important thing to do while hiking is be aware of where you are and whats going on around you.

• Moderator locked this topic
  • admin unlocked this topic