Some questions about being prepared for bears

mgp2675

coastwatcher42

I do 90% of my hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains. I have encountered black bears on numerous occaisions and have never felt threatened. Just make sure to follow all of the standard safety precautions. I carry bear spray but have never had to use it and I have a bear bell but have not taken it out on a trip yet.

All that being said, bears are wild animals and can sometimes exhibit extreme behavior. There was a unprovoked black bear attack in the Smokies only a week or so ago: http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/06/07/several-great-smoky-mountains-national-park-trails-backcountry-campsites-closed-after-bear-hurts-teen/28645819/

• 3 months later...

"...I carry a little .22 handgun with a just few rounds in it. I have zero intentions of ever shooting at wildlife; it it pretty much just as a noise maker to make them think twice if they do charge..."

If you're going to go through the trouble of carrying a sidearm, why not carry one that could actually do you some good if a bear was actually going to attack you? What's with the "few rounds" as well? .22LR ammo weighs 3-4g each.

Given your application I suspect you would be better off with a loud whistle.

Edited by Aconcagua

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly hike and backpack alone, often bushwhacking. The only thing I do about bears is not ever have any food in or near my tent. I have never seen a bear in the wild. I have found fresh bear tracks and scat beside my Jeep when parking at a trailhead.

We frequently have a bear in our backyard. I haven't seen it but did get pictures on a trail camera. I still often sleep in the backyard in either a tent or hammock.

• 3 months later...

I've seen several black bears during my hikes, but have never felt threatened. If I am in bear territory, I always carry bear spray- it has been proven to be the most effective deterrent to an attack. That being said though, simply having it is not enough. You must know how to use it and have it within easy reach. If I don't need to use trekking poles I carry it in my hand rather than in a holster, and I like a drop-leg holster if I don't have my hands free. Other good tips are to make plenty of noise along the trail. Bells are a nice idea, but if the bears in the area aren't used to hearing bells and associating them with humans they are not always effective. Loud talk, singing, clapping hands, yelling "Hey Bear!" - they make you feel a little silly, but I'd rather look silly than look dead.

• Like 1

My first bear encounter was last August on the Death Canyon trail in the Teton National Park and it was a bit comical to say the least. My girlfriend and I were coming down the canyon trail when we walked into a dense and rather lush thicket that we couldn't see far into when a hiker ahead of us by about 30 yards yelled "bear!". We couldn't see it but the other hiker was looking our way and we were looking his way and my only concern was getting my camera ready when all of a sudden the other hiker yelled, "Coming at you! Coming at you!" Keep in mind I'm from Texas, I'm not use to bears, bears are a novelty to me but at the same time pretty spooky too. I instantly did the clapping and yelling bear thing along with a Texas jig! lol. He ran across the trail about 10 yards from us and never stopped.   I will not be without bear spray again! 

On another comical note, the year before that my girlfriend and I were in the Tetons, my girlfriend accidentally discharged bear spray in our friend's house in the downstairs bedroom. By the time she got upstairs to me where I was drinking coffee it ran me out of the house. Reminded of the CS gas from basic training but with a pepper spray burn. I can vouch that it would stop me so I suppose it would work on a bear.

I hope that either helps or has you laughing. 

-dave

• Like 1

I used to work under contract with the forest service and blm doing wildlife studies in some remote areas in Oregon and Northern California. One of the main things I  learned was to always be aware of what's going on around me. I had several close encounters with both bears and cougars but never a bad enounter. I carried bear spray but never used it in all my years in the woods, even when in grizzly areas in Canada. I've never carried a gun. I even lived on a rural property and had a mama and three cubs make frequent visits around my house but never had any problems.

Be aware of your surroundings, be willing to retreat if you enounter a bear, respect their territory, carry bear spray, make noise in bear country and hang your food . One of the best books ever written about bears is " Bear Attacks, Their Causes and Avoidance" by Stephen Herrero. It may save your life.

Of course there's the old line that he best way to avoid bear attacks is to hike with someone slower than you.:)

NorcalBowhunter

I've ran into bears before, I live in CA, and generally they are more fearful of you than you are of them. Long as you stay calm and make a lot of noise they will leave you alone.

The problem comes from bears who have cubs, or bears that people feed so they accociate people with food. I've heard that sometimes the spray works and sometimes it doesn't. I myself carry a gun when I hike for many reasons, but again guns can be effective against a bear and sometimes it's not.

I would say on average bears will leave you alone and you have nothing to worry about as long as you handle the situation smartly. Just stay calm, make lots of noise and slowly remove yourself from the situation.

I would go with bear spray rather than a gun. With a bear spray you don't have to be a good shot because of the area covered and they'll usually work up to about 25 feet. I knew a bear biologist in Canada and she preferred the spray  but cautioned to be aware of wind direction and if your being charged by a bear, mainly a grizzly,  remember to get out of the way after you've sprayed because they'll often continue in their direction of travel briefly.  I've known guides who worked in Glacier N.P. and Alaska and they prefer the spray over a gun. As noted before, I 've encountered bears many times and cougars 3 times while doing wildlife studies but never had a problem but did keep my spray handy. Again, be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. That advice holds for bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and some strange looking 2 legged creatures (while out in the middle of nowhere I've been more cautious about encountering humans than any ther animal).

NorcalBowhunter
3 hours ago, lonerock said:

(while out in the middle of nowher've been more cautious about encountering humans than any ther animal).

This is honestly my concern over running into a wild animal. Espcially here in Northern California where you never know if you'll run into an over protective marijuana farmer or not. People are honestly more unpredictable than a wild animal.

• Like 1

As a newbie to hiking, this is a matter I'm concerned about. Especially because I'll be in the Smoky Mtns. Do you really think bear spray would be effective in the video below?

The following is pretty scary but  spoiler, no animals or people are actually hurt. SKIP TO 1:54

Edited by Rocket

• Moderator locked this topic
  • admin unlocked this topic