Footprint question

Graywolf

For the past 12 years I've backpacked with a Zeus Exo 2. I have never used a footprint with it. This week I bought a REI Quarter Dome 1. At 2 lbs 2 oz. the floor is 30D ripstop nylon. I'm considering getting the footprint for it since it is only 7 oz. It would still be more than a pound lighter than my Zeus. I'm preparing for a backpacking trip in August in the Jedediah Smith Wilderness and think a footprint might be a good thing to have.

Any thoughts?

With my old tent, a Kelty Teton 2, I never used a footprint, and I put the tent through some pretty rough use. That being said, I recently discovered a little hole in the floor.

With the Hubba Hubba, it also has a 30D floor, i went ahead and made a footprint out of 1443r grade Tyvek, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00 . I have carried the footprint a couple of times on backpacking trips, but I think I may start to leave it at home for now on. I can't remember where, but I read the 30D fabric should be pretty tough, so a footprint isn't really necessary. My plan is to keep an eye on the fabric and if it starts to show wear, I'll probably begin to carry the footprint again.

At this point, I don't really see a reason to carry the extra ounces.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I don't think a groundsheet would be / is usually needed in combination in most circumstances with lightweight floors, but I always use one just for peace of mind. My solution is to cut window insulation film to size, (Or for larger shelters, I've even taped sheets together) which ends up weighing about 2-3 ounces and is really pretty tough, though it will need to be replaced eventually.

I have always used a footprint of some sort. As much (as Aaron says) for peace of mind. Have had several tents survive many years that way (who knows, they might have done fine without). There comes a time in my mind to strike a balance on the ultralight scale. I have gone all the way to the thermarest NeoAir on sleeping pads, then found them not to be tough enough, and went a bit heavier. My mindset is the same with tents. Spending as much as one does for a good one, I would rather protect them as much as possible. I have used plastic sheeting as a groundsheet in the past, but found it not quite as easy to set up as the manufacturers groundsheet/cloth. For those on a budget, the plastic sheeting works just as well I think. I'm a firm proponent of the groundsheet!

Thanks for the input. Since it's only $21.50 I think I will go ahead and get one. I try to keep my backpack under 30 lbs. but I think I can handle 7 oz. If it is too much of a hassle I won't be out a lot of dollars.

AdventureMyk

I've never used footprints with my previous tents but I bought them in '88-89 and they were not the ultra-light weights like the Big Agnes I have now. As super thin as these floors are it was worth it to get a light footprint to protect a $550 tent. I also have a Mountain Hardware Optic that I wouldn't have gotten the footprint for if I didn't set up a friend of mines on grass. Imagine my surprise when the grass actually stuck through a brand new tent, yet it didn't do any damage. It doesn't do that with the footprint nor does it leak. Go figure?

I'm going to echo what has already been said ... I personally don't use footprints anymore, ever. 7 ounces is half a pound ... so that's a good chunk of savings. Even with my cuben fiber tents with cuben fiber floors I do not use a footprint of any kind and have never had issues. If you're camping, might make sense but for backpacking, I think they're an outdated concept and just another upsell and totally unnecessary.