Noise Pollution by Planes

branchville

branchville

Anyone know good areas where there are trails with fewer planes and noise pollution? I went on a trail this week and there were planes flying over literally every couple min.

Unfortunately, there are few places in the world free of any air traffic and you get to hear planes in some very remote areas. I would suggest visiting places well removed from population centers or under direct paths connecting those centers-they're still there, just fewer of them. Suppose that would eliminate most of the east coast---------.

I have found the Wind River mountains to be as plane free as you can hope for these days. As grizzled says, tough to find total isolation from that kind of annoyance....

Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. Very little evidence of man entirely. Love the place. Thru-hiked the 65 mile Border Route Tr(BWCA) on the front end of a SOBO Superior Tr Thru-hike fall 2014. Glorious.

The U.S. National Parks have prohibited airspace too even prohibited to drones. Aside from some high flying commercial planes where the noise pollution is so minimal you're likely to see contrails instead to make you aware there even is "a plane" in the visible sky I've backpacked in many a NP and heard little to NO noise pollution from planes or for that matter little to NO human generated noise period.

• Like 1

In the U.S. really want that isolated from the human senses hike try a cave hike into the absence of light zone. Spend a night in a cave in this zone - disorienting! Some people start imagining hearing things. I had a great night's sleep though.

• 2 weeks later...
Da'engineer

If you are looking for a place where there is no pollution of any kind try backpacking the Gates of the Arctic in Alaska its 15 hours away from Anchorage  and nearly in the middle of no where you can be dropped of by plane and picked up a week later. Another one I've been wanting to do is land of 10,000 smokes it is an Island of Alaska it has a hand full of active volcanoes and has some awesome terrain.