Bugs in Yosemite

balzaccom

We had a real Sierra experience with mosquitoes this last week in Yosemite. (TR to follow in a day or two—I’m working on it!) We had hiked cross-country to Roosevelt Lake. The first night in Conness Canyon was at about 8,000 feet, and while it was quite cold at night down in the canyon (37F) there were relatively few bugs.

The next night, at Roosevelt Lake (10,200) it was warmer by a few degrees, but the bugs were fierce. The following day we cross-countried over to Young Lake. Upper Young Lake (10,000+) was a mosquito nightmare—you couldn’t walk without inhaling them. Middle YL was a touch better, at 9,900 feet.

And Lower Young Lake, at 9,800, was better still. We camped out on a dry ridge northwest of the lake, and managed to avoid using headnets for part of the evening! Temperature here was a few degrees warmer still.

Just goes to show that conditions are all local…and if you are at 10,000 feet in the Sierra this week, God help you with the bugs!

I was in Sequoia NP last week. One place I camped had hundreds of mosquitos where there were trees & bushes. I camped on the rocks in the breeze & had no mosquitos at all.

We were hiking up past Bennettville on Tioga a week or so ago, and the mosquitos were thick up near the furthermost lake in the little valley. Oh so beautiful though.

post-98-143508726084_thumb.jpg

post-98-14350872607_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

A wetter year with a really wet spring. We had 4 inches of snow in the Sierra last night. May 21.  Insects come with the territory. Everyone thinks they "have the worst bugs."  Alaska and Minnesota are in some other league when it comes to bugs. Carry a headnet. Wear long sleeves and long pants. Bring gloves.