Military boots

Brandon_0384

Brandon_0384

New to the forum, I have been searching around here but never posted anything.  My question is about hiking boots.  I am currently in the military and have been wearing boots for over a decade in the army.  I recently bought a set of Nike boots

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/special-field-boot/pid-558662/pgid-10968350

uncle Sam said that they were not authorized to wear due to synthetic leather.  Would these make a good boot for hiking the Colorado trail?  I have never hiked the CT or been on a thru hike.  I have plenty of field time and multiple deployments with no issues with my boots.  Any advice?

keyboardtraveler

I have looked at but never hiked that specific trail, but the boots look okay for that distance/terrain ( I think it's about 400km). high on the ankle and looks like it tightens nicely around the ankle to reduce blisters which is very important. Those boots also have a good design for hills with the curve.

A couple of thoughts on those boots.  First, at least for the hiking/backpacking we do, I would be hating those soles.  They're going to be a handful on any steep trail with gravel sized rock.  And two, while I don't doubt the support will be all you need, you can get the same or better support in a LOT lighter package-and that weight on your feet does make a BIG difference.

That said, if you already have them, I'd certainly give them a try.

• Like 1

Hey G.I Brandon - we try to buy COMFORTBLE hiking boots/shoes. Helps you feel better at the end of the day. ;)  I guess they'd work better than corfams, but I'd rather try my luck with running shoes (which I usually wear backpacking). 

Hiking boots/shoes are very much a personal choice thing. If your feet feel great in those boots after a long day hike, they'll be fine on the Colorado Trail. If not, look for something more modern, maybe lighter.

And thanks for your service. :)

• Like 1

Brandon_0384

I see that most hiking boots weigh around 2 lbs for the pair.  Mine weigh in at 2.2 lbs.  While a good set of running shoes would weigh less, the ankle support and durability would be less.  I think that I will give them a try and let you all know how it turns out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Da'engineer

Personally you will never see me wearing boots while hiking I like freedom of motion in my ankles. Nike makes some comfortable boots for military Air Force has a bunch that are authorized to wear but I am cheap on my work boots and still have the same ones since tech school. 

I see army wearing those same boots all around JBER who said no to those boots?

Wear what you like, and be your own judge, some will say to only wear lite trail runner shoes, which cost a lot but only last about 500 miles, I'm some where in between