Need some advice...

MTBComanche

MTBComanche

I want to take my boy on trekking adventure for father/son time. Thinking along the lines of hiking in somewhere, primitive camping, then hiking back out. Where would be a good place for that? 

• He's 17.
  • We will have 4 days spanning a weekend mid-August this year.
  • My wife works for an airline so we can fly anywhere domestically for free.
  • My trekking experience is only as a navigator in several adventure races. I know my way around a topo and compass.

Help please?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Flying anywhere free - sounds like a good deal! There are a lot of options out there. Any idea regarding how many miles you might be interested in hiking? Acclimated to any type of altitude at home by chance? Welcome to the forum!

MTBComanche

Thanks for the reply. Not sure on miles. Thinking half a day hiking. Not acclimated to altitude. Texas dwellers here. 

Get an easy fight  into Denver, get a car rental and lots of options.

Logistically easier, esp if you are new to backpacking would be, Rocky Mtn National Park.

Start from Grand Lake CO on the west  side of the park and there is a classic loop of ~25 miles over the divide twice and back. Excellent hostel right at the trailhead.. About the right length for a conservative 3 day backpack.

http://www.wherestoddnow.com/trips/rockymountainnp/northinlet-tonahutucreekloop/

I suggest acclimating a day or two if possible. Estes Park on the east side of RMNP is a bit touristy, but a nice place to acclimate and easy access to the park so you can check it out a bit while getting used to the elevation.

Side trips avail on route avail if you have the time.

You will need to rent a bear canister.   

Edited by PaulMags
  • Like 1

I recommend Olympic National park. Easy drive from Seattle, not too high in elevation, many different climates packed into one beautiful park!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a place that most people will think about, but Ohio is beautiful. Check out Hocking Hills State Park. You can fly into Columbus and it's about an hour SE of the city.  Beautiful green forest, rolling hills, gorges, waterfalls and caves. It's nice.

http://www.thehockinghills.org

image.jpg