Grand Canyon guide book

Will

I'm in the initial stages of planning a Grand Canyon south rim-to-rim or north to south rim-to-rim multi-day trip.  What are your suggestions for a guide book that will assist with the planning?  I've found One Best Hike by Elizabeth Wenk and Official Guide to Hiking Grand Canyon by Scott Thybony.  I saw the exact book I wanted at the bookstore, but can't remember who wrote it and didn't pick it up at the time; someone else bought it and now nothing I see on the Internet rings a bell.  So, any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Will

Edited by Will

tmountainnut

If you are just planning on hiking, you might not even need a guide book. There are plenty of resources on the NPS website. Using their trail guides with a national geographic park map, you can easily plan out your trip.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/campsite-information.htm

I've done a couple trips in the grand canyon. hermit to phantom ranch to south kiabab, south kaibab to phantom ranch and bright angel trail, and most recently combining the tanner, beamer, escalante route, and the new hance trail for a really cool loop.

Next spring i plan on going to see the grandview area. Nankoweep trail is also on my short list.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I appreciate your feedback.  I've been on the NPS site, and that's where I'm getting most of my info.  I just like to have something in my hands, something I can flip through instead of always looking at electronics.  What can I say?  I'm old.  I'd like to think old school, but just old is pretty accurate.

• Like 1

I don't know about that specific Wenk book but the others I have by her are well done. I'm not familiar with the Thybony book. The A Falcon Guide -Hiking Grand Canyon National Park by Ron Adkison is another GCNP book I  have with accurate trail descriptions and OK maps for a general on trail rim to rim hike. I agree with  Tmountainnut, especially if you stay to the main corridor trails of Bright Angel and North and South Kaibab Trails, the GCNP NPS site and a National Geographic Trails Illustrated(# 207 or #261) or Sky Terrain Grand Canyon Map would be all most would ever require. 

Don't know how you're obtaining your permit but if you get it at a GCNP Visitors in person Center/Backcountry Permit Office you can also ask questions as well as on line through Emails and of course by phone(call EARLY in the morn just as the offices are opening). One thing I would strongly advise is you apprise yourself of current water availability at the Back Country Office immediately preceding your hike. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am also planning a trip to hike North to South Rim... I frequently hike alone, but have heard this is one of the toughest trails and it is highly suggested to hike with a friend/others.  Do you find that to be an accurate statement?  Is it common to find other hikers along the trails to join?

tmountainnut

As far as the main corridor trail goes, its tough in the sense that there is a lot of elevation gain, and the only way out is up 5000 feet from the canyon floor. However, the trail is more of a highway, wide and extremely easy to follow. There will undoubtedly be others on the trail with you too, and i have never met anyone unfriendly below the rim, so i am sure you'll probably meet a few friendly folks if you try.

Off the main corridor, the trails are more of a traditional single track, with occasional route finding along the more remote areas where the trail may get faint. Even then, you'll still probably see a couple people per day during the prime season (spring/fall). Again, the terrain makes for a grueling hike out, so make sure you leave yourself enough energy to make the climb out and keep well hydrated.

• Like 1

I am also planning a trip to hike North to South Rim... I frequently hike alone, but have heard this is one of the toughest trails and it is highly suggested to hike with a friend/others.  Do you find that to be an accurate statement?  Is it common to find other hikers along the trails to join?

YES! For a R2R2R on the main corridor trails, which are, BY FAR,  the most popular below the rim trails in GC NP,  there have always been others to hike with during all four seasons when I've done this hike. On the Bright Angel Tr at Indian Garden CS area, BA CG,  Phantom Ranch, and at Cottonwood CS area, in season there are NP Rangers present. There are always NP rangers present at Phantom Ranch. I've always run into at least one NP ranger on all five R2R2R hikes I've experienced. 

• Like 1