Continuously getting sick while camping

JulieT

My husband and I started backpacking and camping in Jan. 2015. Every time we've camped, except the first time, I've gotten sick in the middle of the night. I'm fine all day, but once we start winding down for bed it's like something changes. I'll get in my sleeping bag, maybe fall asleep for a couple of hours, then wake up needing to run into the woods. The first few times, it was only diarrhea. But I would have to go several times throughout the night. I believe one trip I had to go six times over the night. After several camping trips like this, it became diarrhea, intense nausea, and vomiting. One of the most recent trips only involved the nausea and vomiting. Obviously, this is leaving me discouraged and frustrated. We've tried something different on each trip to see if we could rule anything out. We've tried different food, car camping instead of backcountry camping, different clothing options, a water filter, and other various things. Nothing seems to change it. I thought for the longest time that maybe I'm getting too cold at night and my body can't handle it. I'd sleep with lots of clothes on in my bag, beanie on my head, neck warmer, etc. and I'd wake up sweating in my bag. Then I'd open the bag and just get cold again. Someone told me to try wearing less clothing in my bag, so I did. I still woke up sweating. Here's something else about my theory of being cold - we spent a weekend at an air conditioned lake cabin. The first night I woke up from being so cold that I was shaking. I ended up having diarrhea and intense nausea. Nobody else thought it was as cold in there as I did. So, has anyone else experienced this? We're running out of ideas on how to figure this out!

• Like 1

My husband and I started backpacking and camping in Jan. 2015. Every time we've camped, except the first time, I've gotten sick in the middle of the night. I'm fine all day, but once we start winding down for bed it's like something changes. I'll get in my sleeping bag, maybe fall asleep for a couple of hours, then wake up needing to run into the woods. The first few times, it was only diarrhea. But I would have to go several times throughout the night. I believe one trip I had to go six times over the night. After several camping trips like this, it became diarrhea, intense nausea, and vomiting. One of the most recent trips only involved the nausea and vomiting. Obviously, this is leaving me discouraged and frustrated. We've tried something different on each trip to see if we could rule anything out. We've tried different food, car camping instead of backcountry camping, different clothing options, a water filter, and other various things. Nothing seems to change it. I thought for the longest time that maybe I'm getting too cold at night and my body can't handle it. I'd sleep with lots of clothes on in my bag, beanie on my head, neck warmer, etc. and I'd wake up sweating in my bag. Then I'd open the bag and just get cold again. Someone told me to try wearing less clothing in my bag, so I did. I still woke up sweating. Here's something else about my theory of being cold - we spent a weekend at an air conditioned lake cabin. The first night I woke up from being so cold that I was shaking. I ended up having diarrhea and intense nausea. Nobody else thought it was as cold in there as I did. So, has anyone else experienced this? We're running out of ideas on how to figure this out!

JulieT..............

A number of things could cause this, the first I would want to consider is what you are drinking.  You mentioned a water filter; do you have the same problem if you just bring along and drink only water from home?  If you use a filter, has it been cleaned, and is the filter working properly?

As far as your cold theory, it is also a possibility.  My question here is.........are you going to sleep wearing "sweaty" clothing, or are you changing into clean clothing?  Are you using a washcloth to rinse off any excess sweat?  I ask this because some people who wear the clothing they wore on the trail that day will get overly cold at night as the sweat does not completely evaporate. 

Nausea or diarrhea can have many causes, most involve food or water intake.  Usually bacteria, a virus, or even a parasite is involved.  Please remember diarrhea results in dehydration, which will only make things worse while in the outdoors.

Hope you start feeling better; no one wants to feel ill while on the trail.  Please let TG know if you can find a solution.

Gary M

• Like 1

Thank you for your response Gary M! I was always bringing water from home until April when I received a Sawyer filter as a birthday gift. Now I still carry a little water from home, but I'll filter some once I get to a source at the campsite. Unless, of course, there is no water source. Then I'll bring plenty from home.

I know there have been times where I'd sleep in what I hiked in, but that was during the winter months when I didn't sweat very much, if at all. During the summer months, I've been changing into clean clothes. I've been washing my face with a cloth before bed, but I haven't tried an overall scrub yet. I'll definitely try that next time!

I still consider myself to be a novice hiker, so I'm trying to keep in mind that I need more water when we hike compared to a day at home. Drinking more water overall is something I've been trying to improve for months! Thanks again!

JulieT

Hydration is critical in the outdoors.  

But don't think you don't sweat in the winter.  If you are in the outdoors, you are going to sweat.  If you then sleep in those clothes, you will feel cold as all of the sweat may not be evaporating.  You'll have to find a good medium where when you sleep you are not too hot or too cold.  Drink a lot of water, and little or no alcohol, as it again will lead to dehydration.  

I would discuss the diarrhea issue with your doctor if the condition persists.  Again, food or water intake are the more common causes that I have come across.

I assume you are familiar with Giardiasis

Again, good luck, and good hiking!

Gary M

Edited by Gary M