To overcome...or to NOT overcome...

DeadLeaf

That's the real question! 

Not all of us are born on the trail.. but some seem to be made on the trail. It's those trials and tribulations of life that force normal people (like myself) to dig deep and go far. It's the hardships and the challenges we overcome that show us who we are and what we are capable of. It's the success and rewards to which we are reborn. 

My feet always think for themselves..making the choice for me as to where I will go and how far I will push myself. Sometimes I just don't know before I get there. I've walked till I couldn't walk anymore..and then I walked some more. 

In retrospective...I haven't gone far at all and my journey is just beginning. I can only take baby steps..I wouldn't want this journey to move any faster. 

Not too sure how to end this post.. 

Perhaps it's best left with no focus on any end at all.

Edit: ...or perhaps..I should stay on topic! Haha!

When I do go backpacking, i go out to Henry Coe State Park. It's a great place to practice my skills and train for more ideal destinations. It's convenient for me because it's near by. 

I don't go as often as I'd like due to being short on money. I just recently spent an overnight simply camping out of my truck. I hiked for about 10 miles but was enticed by the solitude to pay the extra fee and camp at an actual parking camp spot. That entire trip was ruined by a family that brought all the negativity of the city to the spot right next to mine. They invaded my space and wouldn't leave me alone. It was a total loss. 

Next trip I take out to Coe Park will be a 4 day trip in the back country during early spring, so I can get some good conditioning for camping in the rain. By then I hope to find some team mates to train with, but that won't stop me from going. I hope to have seen and walked every trail by the end of 2016. Over 200 miles total. 

I have a small thin body type and a very fast metabolism,  so what I bring with me and how I spend my energy is crucial if I'm gonna enjoy myself and stay safe. 

I usually bring my old north face Terra 40 pack, but I've learned to carry less. I haven't decided if I'm gonna make my next trek with it or my 32 by High Sierra. It's almost as comfortable and definitely lighter. With it I can just carry my housing equipment strapped to the bottom. 

I use a 1 person tent with a vestibule by eureka, which is more like a 2 person for me so I have lots of room to store equipment. I use a tarp also. I sleep on a 1 inch self inflating mat, which I've come to rely on. In cold weather I bring a 45 degree compact mummy bag by alpine. No pillow. I have back up tents, tarps and mats as well.

I use the pocket rocket by MSR with one 8oz isopro per 4 days. I have a modified pot that I love. It isn't the lightest but i make up for it by packing other light items. I use a tin cup for coffee and i bring a firelight spoon/fork. 

I only bring one headlamp with a back up key chain led and no extra batteries if I only go a week. I bring a Leatherman which is always useful even if it's just for carving tent stakes and fishing. I bring a fishing hat, beanie and sunglasses of course. I use the Katadyn hiker and still boil my water just in case. I also include water tablets in my lightweight 32 oz water bottle/emergency kit. I usually just keep items to patch blisters and disinfectant, as well as headache/pain medicine. I bring a 6 oz flask of whiskey strictly for sleeping purposes..in cold weather it works to help me sleep soundly. Worth the extra weight, the flask also holds sentimental value. 

What I'm missing is professional outdoor rain and cold clothing. Once I can afford the right stuff, I will decrease the weight significantly. For now I pack cotton and wool based clothes. I sometimes like to wear jeans, telling myself that's how cowboys did it. Haha! I wear boots and bring Vans for around the campsite.. But that will change soon as well. I also bring a water bladder.

I've tried different foods and snacks..and i continue to dial in my packing diet to suit my needs and taste buds. My next adventure will (if all goes well) include a breakfast of powdered eggs with bacon jerky and coffee. Lunch will be simple trail snacks like jerky, trail mix, granola, chips and Gatorade mix. Dinner will be a shepherd's pie of instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated veggie mix and jerky bits. I'll bring a few Ramen packs as well to change it up. I'm also gonna pack a tiny bottle of olive oil or slice of butter for fish if I catch it. One bullion cube to make a quick fish stew if the moment calls for it.

Other than all this I want to work on crafting a wooden walking stick that can fit a spear tip on one end and can be converted into a simple fishing pole for my mini home made tackle set. Where I'm going, it's safer than inconvenience to carry a gallon bottle of water the entire trip even in the rain.. I always run out of water after 10 miles so I plan carefully.

I'm sure there is a few small items i left out but you get the idea.. all together my base weight is between 22 and 25 lbs no matter what I seem to add on top of this. I try to reduce fancy bags and containers if I don't need them. In the summer, I like to use a 2 gallon bucket with lid to store food and use for sitting..but it's usually a pain in the ass by the end of the trip lol

-DeadLeaf

Edited by DeadLeaf