ZebraLight Headlamp Reviews

Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for the link Aaron!

As for the lights, I am very happy with mine. Much happier than I imagined I would be when I ordered it. This light has definitely made a place in my pack on all of my trips, whether it be summer or winter.

Mine is the cool-white light, and I agree, if the light is turned up on high, then it is a different feel when looking around than one would expect normally, however, as you made mention, I also like to use the medium settings for hiking and with these settings, I have not had any issues with the light. However, if I ever did "need" to swap out my light, I would probably at least try on of the neutral lights to see how I liked it.

Also, I agree with you about the way that the headband feels. The ends of the silicone holders seem to be pressing into my head. I feel like the headband needs some improvement, and while they are at it, I don't think it needs to be so robust. I vote for a little weight savings... :)

However, I am pretty happy with my DIY headband. It is more comfortable, only weighs 0.2 oz and was very inexpensive to make (and is very easy to replace). I will admit though, with the stock headband, I can adjust the light up or down with one hand, whereas with my DIY headband, I have to use 2 hands to adjust it if it is a drastic change either up or down.

Anyway, it is cool that we all have the reviews out for these lights. I have only seen them mentioned occasionally on backpacking forums. Most of the headlights mentioned seem to be some of the more traditional headlamps by Black Diamond, Petzl or Princeton Tec. (Although those companies make good lights too...)

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Stick,

No problem and great review on the H51! That's exactly how I felt regarding the headband and comfort, the sides of the holder don't always seem to fit against the forehead perfectly. Usually a quick readjustment solves the issue and overall it hasn't really bothered me too much...The light has a lot of punch in a small form factor!

• 1 month later...

Stick, your video is what made me decide to get the h51. Nice review. I like mine a lot so far but I plan on copying your headband here soon but other than the weight I like the headband that comes with the light too. I sleep in a hammock without a ridgeline (never liked one) so I wear my head lamp to bed since I do not have a good place to hang it. For the reason you don't like the ends of the silicone holder digging into your forehead I like when I wear a toboggan. It seems to hold the light in the center of my forehead. Without a boggin it is uncomfortable though. Thanks for the review stick and I found out about this website from your last video. I never would have found it.

Glad that you enjoyed the video, and glad to hear that you are liking your H51 too! It seems like I go through a lot of the same pieces/type of gear, and so far, rarely has one been so definite that it becomes a go-to piece on all of my trips... this headlamp has turned into one of those pieces for me though, especially with the lighter DIY headband...2 oz for this set-up is a very attractive option, IMO. And that is cool that you are going to copy it...I have seen your videos and know that your DIY skills are a little better than mine, so if you improve on it somehow, let us know!