staying warm...no matter what

DeadLeaf

Probably my weakest subject in terms of diverse conditions, quality of gear, and weight over long distance travel. I don't have much experience with snow. Last time I was stuck in the snow I remember how freaking cold it was, but we had a cabin to stay in. My experience in super cold weather is next to zero. 

The gear I have right now will only get me so far before I have to pack more as the temperature drops. So packing less, and packing the right gear for the job is top priority. 

Please let me know how you think my gear will hold up, and what gear I might want to replace in order to stay warm no matter what. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

I have a one person 3 season tent with a rain fly- eureka apex solo. Still haven't used it in the rain though. 

I have a compressible 45 degree mummy bag by alpine which I wish I wouldn't have bought because it's too warm for warm weather and seemingly not warm enough for 40 degree weather. I wouldn't last long if I took it to freezing temps. I bought a liner that brings it to about 5 degrees but that is too heavy to bring. Warmer mummy bags seem to be far too heavy. I have a better sleeping bag combo for 0 degree but it is also very bulky. I found it kinda useless when I took it to Amsterdam and stayed in hotels. The 45 degree mummy bag would be the perfect weight if it only did the job by itself. 

I need proper cold/ rain gear for my head, hands and under armor..as well as the right jacket. It needs to be rain proof, light weight and warm. I had the perfect jacket one time but it's long since broken and i feel i could use a lighter weight jacket anyways. 

Any other suggestions would be great :) 

Edit note: I just came across and read Aron's blog about staying warm. Good stuff!

Thanks for reading 

-DeadLeaf 

Edited by DeadLeaf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a backpacker, two things  I know  I  have to get right 1) footwear 2) sleep system. If either isn't functioning to meet the needs I'm off the hike. These elements ARE CRITICAL!

LOL. I feel you. I tried to go cheap  on a sleeping bag because I had a very tight hiking budget. It was a very bulky very heavy synthetic rated at 25*. At least that is what it said on the box it came in?  Inside an enclosed tent while wearing sleeping clothing and being a neutral sleeper I was cold at 35*. Of course, I was clueless as to  EN ratings.

I can't stress enough based on your desires that you consider a better bag with an accurate temp rating, of lower bulk, and a lower wt. If you're not sleeping right you're soon off the trail! A good sleeping bag is worth every penny offering many yrs of quality sleep and service with some TLC. It's one of the BEST BANGS for the hiking gear dollar IMHO!     

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sometimes staying warm is more about skills after you have some better equipment. Bite the bullet a buy a better sleeping bag. Make sure you have some good layers, long underwear, hat and gloves, etc. Common sense stuff. 

If you fall in the creek or get wet in a sleet storm, you need to be able to build a decent fire in a hurry. 

In the snow and wind you need to be able to find a spot out of the wind.

You have to learn to manage your clothing for the conditions.  Most people don't need a heavy jacket while moving. It is best saved for rest stops and at night. Try not to ever sweat in cold weather. Anticipate colder conditions. For winter trips, I like to x-c ski and bring a small sled, often pulled by a good dog. A whelen lean-to is hard to beat with a fire in front.

• Like 1

"Sometimes staying warm is more about skills after you have some better equipment."

YEAH! Glad someone else said it. Entirely too often  we seek solutions based on acquiring different or more gear ignoring  solutions can also be approached through knowledge, wisdom, or applying skills rather than purchases of more stuff. 

• Like 1

There is way too much emphasis now on equipment.  In the old days we had Army surplus and basic equipment like kapok sleeping bags, Trapper Nelsons, tube tents and no sleeping pads.  In the early days we carried cast iron frying pans and canned goods.  It was great training however because we learned to use fire and how to find protected places to camp and soft places to sleep.

Now people expect their equipment to make them comfortable above tree line on a wind swept ridge sleeping on rocks.

Technology is finally being used to advantage with the movement toward light and ultra-light. I am still trying to unlearn some of the traditional ways to do things.

A guy like Matt Graham can do fine with almost no equipment.

A newbie with the best equipment in the world, is an accident waiting to happen.

6 hours ago, ppine said:

There is way too much emphasis now on equipment.  In the old days we had Army surplus and basic equipment like kapok sleeping bags, Trapper Nelsons, tube tents and no sleeping pads.  In the early days we carried cast iron frying pans and canned goods.  It was great training however because we learned to use fire and how to find protected places to camp and soft places to sleep.

Now people expect their equipment to make them comfortable above tree line on a wind swept ridge sleeping on rocks.

Technology is finally being used to advantage with the movement toward light and ultra-light. I am still trying to unlearn some of the traditional ways to do things.

A guy like Matt Graham can do fine with almost no equipment.

A newbie with the best equipment in the world, is an accident waiting to happen.

Good points, very well said.  And I totally agree! 

• Like 1