Hiking app to read GPX/KML files

littlebum2002

littlebum2002

Hello all!

I am so frustrated right now. I know this app exists I just can't seem to find it.

Here's what I need. I want an app that can:

Read a GPX file of a trail

Show me my location using my phone's GPS (so I can tell if I'm on the trail or not)

Do this without cell service (which it shouldn't need with GPS)

It seems like a fairly simple thing to do, but for the life of me I can't seem to find an app that does it! I'm willing to pay (maybe $5 or so, more if the app is really good). Can you help me?

(If I have to, I'll use two different apps, to  show me the trail on the GPX file and another to show my GPS location but that seems overly complicated and they would still both have to work offline)

I'd like this because I'm just getting to where I am comfortable doing pretty intensive Class 3 hikes, and I did my first one last weekend and even with a map getting lost was occasionally a problem, and I'd rather have one less thing to worry about on a hike like this.

I remember trying to find similar apps a while back and it looked to me like the 2-app solution was the cheapest...or else buying a really expensive app that overlaid your location (still requiring cell coverage) onto the trail map.  I ended up buying nothing and relying on obvious trail systems for that trip.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Have you checked out Gaia GPS by chance? I don't use GPX / KML files but I just loaded one from a custom map as a test via Google Maps, using the email method described here, and it seems to have imported and saved just fine. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

new2this30349

I've been trying to find the best app for hiking myself since I'm new.  So far I've tried AllTrails and Viewranger.  Have any of you tried these?

Thanks.