Fairweather Day Hiker clothing

HikesWithDog

HikesWithDog

Hello. I'm a Midwesterner. Summers are hot and humid. Fall is cool and humid. Spring is wet (humid). That is to say that 90% of the time, I do not need insulation, and my hiking is no more than 5 miles, often out and back.

I'm wondering, when I was younger (now 33), I had to have all the highly marketable hiking clothing. Now, I'm pretty happy in my trail running shoes, running shorts and moisture wicking t-shirt (like Under Armour heat gear) and a long sleeve moisture wicking shirt. My backpack has some protein, lots of water, dog "stuff", and I'm good to go. I may not look like your traditional hiker wearing brands like Nike and Under Armour, but I just haven't found a reason to invest in hiking brands for this style of hiking.

Am I off my rocker? Are there benefits to hiking shorts, carrying a rain shell that I don't need, etc?

Outdoorsmom76

You are not at all off your rocker. I never spend top dollar on hiking clothes. That being said, you can never count on fair weather. Even on short day hikes, I at least take a rain jacket.  I found a cheap one that folds up into a small pouch, making it perfect for throwing in a day pack. Running clothes often work well for hiking.  Whatever keeps you warm and dry (or cool and dry for summer) is fine. I generally prefer hiking shorts over running shorts because I like having pockets to keep my trail map and other items handy. Hike on fair weather hiker. 

• 2 months later...

...My backpack has some protein, lots of water, dog "stuff", and I'm good to go...

Unfortunately "some protein" isn't optimal fuel for an activity like hiking.  I've hiked with a number of people who simply ran out of gas because they were on high protein/low carb diets and carried that mindset into their trail nutrients.

I, too, hail from the midwest and I always bring rain gear...I've been on a few day hikes where it began to rain, and having a rain jacket makes the hike that much more enjoyable.  I'm pretty hard line on that.  

But as far as clothing is concerned - as long as it's not 100% cotton, wear what you like.  No one is judging you on your choice of hiking clothes.  Hike your own hike!

I think most of our hiking clothing was purchased at thrift stores or discount stores.  And we've backpacked about 1,000 miles in the last eight  years.

I think most of our hiking clothing was purchased at thrift stores or discount stores.  And we've backpacked about 1,000 miles in the last eight  years.

I frequent this one thrift store operated by a charity that always seems to have hiking/climbing clothing.  I just bought a wicking Under Armour mock turtleneck long sleeved undershirt for $5.00.  I don't think it had ever been worn...

• Like 1