Echo Peak in the Lake Tahoe basin

TollerMom

My friends and I climbed Echo Peak last weekend. This peak stands about 8890' and the route we took started at upper Angora Lake (7450') in the Lake Tahoe basin. It was mostly a boulder climb and it felt like it was practically straight up. The hike isn't long - just about 3.25 round trip from car to peak and back again but I would classify it as knarly. The boulderous mountainside was dotted with cairns and I think you could easily take the wrong route (who knows where all the ducks led to) and end up on the cliffs if you hadn't been there before. The FANTASTIC views were worth my quads burning for three days afterwards. Oh, and be sure to stop for some of the famous fresh squeezed lemonade at Angora Resort.

Killer views. From bottom to top - Upper Angora lake, Lower Angora lake, Fallen Leaf lake and Lake Tahoe

post-98-143508713197_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508713204_thumb.jpg

post-98-14350871321_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508713217_thumb.jpg

post-98-143508713223_thumb.jpg

TollerMom....

Echo Peak looks great!!! Sounds like you all had a great time. It has been so hot (100 plus deg) for most of June, July, and now August here in the MidWest so my activity has been cut down to short hikes. I'm losing patience and can't wait to get back on the trail.

We've had our share of heat too. The weather is a-changing though. We are climbing Thunder Mountain (9400') on Carson Pass, west of Kirkwood Ski Resort on Saturday and they are predicting possible thunder showers. Funny! The views are said to be unmatched. Supposed to be able to see to Yosemite. Then on Monday, we are hiking Barker Pass ( on the west shore of Tahoe) with the Tahoe Rim Trail people and the temps are predicted to be a high of only 66. A first I thought they surely meant 66 Celsius! Haven't felt those daytime temps since early spring.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Great report! With all the heat lately I can see a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade being a well appreciated post-trip bonus. :D Fall and cooler temps are just around the corner, one of my favorite times of the year to be out there...