beginner: need suggestions for 1st backpacking trip

Kevin Walt

Hi everyone!

I'm 21 years old from Massachusetts and have been very eager to get into the world of backpacking. I'm looking for suggestions on a trail or location to travel to backpack for a few days. I will be venturing on this trip alone which made me feel a guided trip may be the best idea for my first time, however I am not apposed to completing a trail on my own. I'm open to all suggestions especially outside of the US. Also somewhere that is financially reasonable.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are some good backpacking trails in both Maine and New Hampshire. I've done weeklong hikes in each state. I have read about the Long Trail in Vermont.

I would suggest you do an online (google?) search for "backpacking trails in Maine" for instance. You will find a lot of trails.

I know the Sierra Club and the American Hiking Society each have guided hikes and working vacations where you work on rebuilding trails. The Sierra Club outings can be expensive.

Edited by slosteppin
mis-spelled word

are you looking to hike locally, or travel. your post seems to indicate a willingness/desire to travel outside of New England.

I am in Western MA, and have been in the woods my entire life. I have many places I could direct you to if you want. Just let me know.

Also, what end of the state are your from? this will impact my suggestions as Maine/NH are more convenient to Boston, where VT is more convenient from Western MA.

Ill be happy to help you with any guidance you may need. Just ask.

I'm from the south shore, I love hiking and wanna take the next step to mutiday trips. I wanna travel outside of the state's soon but I'm thinking new hampshire or maine for my first trip

How is your endurance? NH is a great place, but the White mountains can be unforgiving.

If you go there I'd suggest not trying to attempt more than one peak and keep it to three days/two nights.

Also, try the Chocura area in NH. Some great paths there also.

There are also some great trails in and around the Monadnock area in southern NH. many of these also travel in MA.

Most of what I know in ME is northern ME, and quite a drive (6 hrs from my house), but if so inclined, try out the 100 mile wilderness (or a part of), or the Grafton loop. Both great destinations.

Safe Travels!

Yah I was looking into the grafton loop it looks amazing. But my endurance is pretty good I feel that shouldn't be a problem. Do you have any experience traveling outside of the state's?

since you're in mass , check out the Mid state trail.  the southern section is mostly road walking (ughhh), but the northern section from mount wachusett to mount watatic on the new hampshire border, is almost entirely wooded with lean to areas and tent site areas.  there is also a decent guide book with a nice map. it's local with cell reception the entire trip just in case of any emergencies on your 1st trip.

depending on where in mass you're located, check with a local hiking store. 

if you're anywhere near Worcester, check out  New England Backpacker store. I believe its on mountain street near the Greendale mall.  these guys and gals are GREAT for any advice. they'll have any book you need.  I have absolutely zero affiliation. I just love the small store atmosphere and helping locals. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the camping side of hiking. I've never done a multiday hike, sounds like fun. I just started getting equipment to sleep outside. I am really enjoying being out there in the fall. A lot less bugs!!