Hiking, Emergency Communications

mrsashleycarrigan

mrsashleycarrigan

Hey guys! So my husband and I go hiking often but we have yet to go on a full weekend/week long backpacking adventure. I'm excited but.... a little anxious at the same time. (What if we break a leg or run into a snake bite/bear attack situation, etc.?!) I know that most people don't have negative encounters but feel like if it's going to happen to someone, it's probably going to be me. (I've already been bit by a copperhead before, I feel like that is the main source of my anxiety.) I'm curious about what type of emergency communication equipment people take when they are on the trail. We both have Verizon and lose service most times we are exploring day trails in the mountains. What unit do you take or what would you suggest bringing? I feel like if we had a way to send out an SOS if in need, I would have some peace of mind and be able to relax so I could enjoy our adventure more. (Also, it may be nice to send out an "OK" signal to someone every night when we reach a checkpoint.) I've looked online but I'm not sure that spending $400+ is really necessary. I saw the DeLorme InReach™ Explorer Satellite Communicator with Navigation but it looks like you have to have some type of monthly or yearly fee as well. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!!

This isn't the answer you are going to like, Ashley, but my wife and I have taken somewhere close to forty backpacking trips, up to eight days long,  sometimes completely off trail, and we've never taken any communications device.  We're careful, we take our time, and we don't worry about much.  There's not much that can really hurt you that quickly.  Even a broken bone just means that somebody goes for help...You are much more likely to need help on the drive to the trailhead.

mrsashleycarrigan

Thanks, @balzaccom. Honestly, I was expecting that response as it seems to be the mindset of most hikers. Perhaps I'll just feel more at ease with a few excursions under my belt. (And perhaps I'll buy some sort of PLB as well!) :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the site Ashley. There are several options you can use for an emergency if it happens. Probably the most popular back country device is the SPOT http://www.findmespot.com/en/ . It allows people to track your progress on a map on their computer at home, send an "I'm OK" message and send an SOS if needed. It costs about $150 and requires an annual subscription for about another $150.

Also  popular is the DeLorme inReach http://www.inreachdelorme.com/ which you mentioned. They make a model without navigation for under $300 and allow you to purchase service as needed on a monthly basis for around $15 instead of an annual plan.

The SPOT and inReach use satellite phone satellite systems to work (Iridium or Globalstar).

The other option is a safety device like the ACR ResQLink locator beacon which sells for about $275. It does one thing and one thing only: Call for help! Its advantage is it uses the dedicated search and rescue satellite system which is optimized for emergency situations. There are no annual fees and the device has a built-in 6 year lithium battery. You can find more info at https://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/#sthash.mR3HKNfe.dpbs.

Have fun on your adventures!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I like the inReach SE and have been using it for quite a while...but I do pay a monthly service fee for the convenience. (Although they do have the month to month option, it still has a yearly service fee) If you're looking for something light just to stash away and without a monthly or yearly fee, I'd lean towards something like the ACR ResQLink, although you lose the check in / ok features and 2-way messaging offered by Spot and Delorme respectively. However, you could look into a plan from 406Link to send a check in message using the PLB's self test feature, limited by battery and again for a fee as well.

• Like 1

Thanks, @balzaccom. Honestly, I was expecting that response as it seems to be the mindset of most hikers. Perhaps I'll just feel more at ease with a few excursions under my belt. (And perhaps I'll buy some sort of PLB as well!) :D

I'm sure.  And bear in mind that we're in our 60s....so health concerns do exist!

• Like 1

mrsashleycarrigan

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'm still doing some research before purchasing... I think the peace of mind of having some kind of communication is worth the money. For me at least! I enjoy the beauty of being in the wild tremendously, but the unknown can be a little unnerving. If anyone else would like to chime in with a product they use and a maybe even a short, personal review, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! 

Another thought since we are new to long excursions- is there some sort of backpacking network to meet new friends to meet up for trips? For example, we live in SC and do most of our hiking in NC/TN. We are thinking of venturing out West to tackle Colorado or Montana areas and would love to meet up with/travel with people who are from the area to get a better feel for the land. We would be happy to reciprocate with a hike in our stomping grounds. Aside from hiring a guide, is there a website where you can make friends and meet up? Like a Couch Surfing for backpacking?!