Jacket help

Sean L

Hi all I'm new to the forum and new to hiking in general. I started up this summer and I'm really into it.  I'd like to keep going this fall and maybe longer, so I need some advice from those more experienced then me.  I'm looking for a shell I can wear with some kind of fleece underneath.  Currently I have a north face Denali fleece that I really like.  Here's the kicker though, it has to be able to come in a XXXL size I started hiking to lose weight so other then that I'm open to any advice

i really appreciate it if you take the time to respond.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

:) Welcome to the forum Sean, I currently use a Marmot Essence but it only runs up to 2XL. Just saw that the venerable Marmot Precip is offered in a 3XL however:  

http://www.rei.com/product/863344/marmot-precip-rain-jacket-mens-extended-sizes

Hopefully that might be an option, best of luck getting started!

Hey Aaron thanks for the advice I think that will be exactly what I need! 

I'm looking forward to when I get a little more experienced and start taking on more challenging and interesting trails :)

Guess this isn't to helpful of a forum for beginners.....

Sean L

Why not???

I would say this is an excellent source for those just starting out.  TG has a tremendous amount of great info, for free!!  

Free is awful hard to beat where I come from!

Gary M 

• Like 1

Though hunting focused, Cabela (and Bass Pro for that matter) have good house-brand clothing that come in big and tall sizes.

The Cabela's fleece, for example, may work well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Outerwear/Mens-Fleece-Outerwear|/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/105548580/i/104174280/Cabelas-Mens-Tech-Trail-Fleece-Jacket-150-Tall/1914427.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Fleece-Outerwear%2F104174280.uts

Note both companies, besides fleece, have down coats, rain gear, base layers etc in larger sizes as well.

The prices are reasonable and no different from what  you find at REI...just aimed at different  outdoor activity customer.  But a black fleece jacket is a black fleece jacket. :)

• Like 1