Any CT hikers out there

Sean L

• 3 weeks later...

New to hiking. ..located central ct... I'm a hobby metal detectorist  and looking to start finding some old foundations and cellar holes that have been long forgotten in the woods and what betterway to help find them then hiking. .. and if anyone has come across any please share  we can set up a hike and if you are interested I can help teach you the hobby of metal detecting. ..

• Like 2

Hey Willie that's good to know, if I come across any in my travels I'll let you know. That sounds pretty interesting, I bet you've found some pretty cool stuff:)

• Like 1

hi willie. there is a section I know on the nipmuck trail that has some of the best stone walls and foundations I might have ever seen.  I'm not sure if metal detecting is allowed there, though.  if I'm correct, isn't it illegal to detect in state forests?

sean, mashmoquet is a great local hike.  I've done that many times.  my favorite location in the NE corner is Bigelow Hollow. if you take the west ridge trail out to Breakneck Pond, tthere are some incredible boulder fields along with The Cat Caves.   about 8-9 mile loop around the lake. there are also 2 nice lean-to's that can be reserved on the shore of the lake.

• 3 months later...
On Sat Sep 12 2015 09:29:57 GMT-0400, cthiker said:

hi willie. there is a section I know on the nipmuck trail that has some of the best stone walls and foundations I might have ever seen.  I'm not sure if metal detecting is allowed there, though.  if I'm correct, isn't it illegal to detect in state forests?

sean, mashmoquet is a great local hike.  I've done that many times.  my favorite location in the NE corner is Bigelow Hollow. if you take the west ridge trail out to Breakneck Pond, tthere are some incredible boulder fields along with The Cat Caves.   about 8-9 mile loop around the lake. there are also 2 nice lean-to's that can be reserved on the shore of the lake.

Thanks for the reply... Its is illegal to metal detect certain state forests. .but not all. There is a list found online that's states which ones. Not sure where the nipmuck trail is but I will look into it

• 5 months later...
TheNascarMedic

From Enfield/Somers area here. New to the forum!  Always looking for new places to hike and fish!