Howdy from an Ozarks newcomer.

Losfew

Experienced car camper here, just got my first backpacking experience. A seasoned buddy and I did 3 nights and aprox. 17 miles out on the Olympic peninsula and now I'm hooked. My hopes are to thru-hike some of the established trails around my home in south central Missouri, including the Ouachita trail, the Ozark trail, and the Ozark Highland trail.

I would love to hear from anyone who has spent time on these trails. I'm wide open to tips, warnings, all guidance welcome! Thanks, Dave.

Edited by Losfew
spelling

Experienced car camper here, just got my first backpacking experience. A seasoned buddy and I did 3 nights and aprox. 17 miles out on the Olympic peninsula and now I'm hooked. My hopes are to thru-hike some of the established trails around my home in south central Missouri, including the Ouachita trail, the Ozark trail, and the Ozark Highland trail.

I would love to hear from anyone who has spent time on these trails. I'm wide open to tips, warnings, all guidance welcome! Thanks, Dave.

Losfew................

I've backpacked and hiked those three trails several times.  You are in a great area, your trail possibilities are almost limitless.

I especially love the Eleven Point River and other trails in the Mark Twain National Forest.  The Irish Wilderness area is my absolute favorite.  A quick search on the internet will get you free maps, outfitters, float info, etc.

You asked for tips or warnings, well I certainly have a warning I've passed on before here at TrailGroove.  

The Southern Missouri Ozarks are a beautiful area; great hiking, camping, backpacking, and other outdoor activities.  The Ozark mountain range doesn't intimidate people; the trails, rivers, and creeks seem pretty tame compared to what our TrailGroove friends out West deal with on a regular basis.  That's the problem.

People don't realize that the Ozark region soil is very thin, and will not absorb much in the way of rainfall.  So when it rains, those small creeks quickly become dangerous.  The rivers become torrents of very powerful and potentially deadly currents.  It's an incredible site to behold, I have seen it first hand.  Don't make this mistake!  Remember, car camping and backpacking are two different animals.

Ok, now I'll get down off of my soapbox!  As a tip, I prefer hiking the area in the fall, avoiding the spring rain and most of the other traffic on the trail.   

Good luck and good hiking!

Gary M 

Thanks Gary M, flood warnings heeded and seconded. I grew up with a healthy respect for water and its power. The Irish Wilderness looks great.

I'm thinking of the North Sylamore Creek trail in September, there's a lot of info online, but not much specifically about where I might camp if I head upstream from the Allison trailhead. Anyone overnight on this stretch recently?

Thanks Gary M, flood warnings heeded and seconded. I grew up with a healthy respect for water and its power. The Irish Wilderness looks great.

I'm thinking of the North Sylamore Creek trail in September, there's a lot of info online, but not much specifically about where I might camp if I head upstream from the Allison trailhead. Anyone overnight on this stretch recently?

Losfew...............

I've hiked (not backpacked) Sylamore Creek some years ago, can't recall the camping situation.  If all else fails, I would just call the Ozark St. Francis National Forest at 479.964.7200 or the Sylamore Ranger Office at 870.269.3228.  You might have to make several calls to get the right (patient) person, but you should be able to get some details from the folks who really know the area.

People who are not familiar with the mid-west don't realize the beauty of the Ozarks.  

Gary M

By the way, I forgot to mention......

I assume you are familiar with the story behind how the Irish Wilderness got it's name.  If not look it up for sure!  I'm a history nut, so I love to tie in the history of areas I'm hiking if I possibly can.  For me at least, it makes the trail experience more enjoyable knowing some of the history of the area I'm hiking.

Gary M

I did happen to catch the origin of the name. Maybe it should be called the Lost Irish Wilderness. Sounds like fertile ground for a novel or a film, maybe Daniel Woodrell is already working on. I just talked to a Jim at the Sylamore Ranger office who was very helpful, thanks for the tip. He insists that good campsites are to be had all along the trail.

You're spot on about the overlooked beauty of the Midwest. I just spent my lunch hour poking around the Pomona trailhead of the  Norfork section Ozark Trail, and even with the bugs and the ivy it was very inviting. My property butts up against Devils Backbone about 21 miles down that trail, I could hike rightright up to my front door. I'm looking forward to leaf-off!