Too much, Too soon?

Lino

Hello all need some advice for a newbie, 

Did my first "real" hike December of last year ( Acatenango, Guatemala ) and have been itching to try and get out again. My last trip was guided but I wanted try and venture out on my own. I'm planning a trip to Colorado in a few weeks with plans to backpack three different trails. All three trails are technically Day hikes with overnight options. They are all less than 10 miles round trip. I'm planning on two days rest between each one. 

I'm 39, in reasonably good shape. Is this too much for a first time solo backpacking trip?

Congrats on getting out into this beautiful world. Your eyes are now permanently opened. I am a county ranger in Northern Colorado certified in many areas of rescue and response. I can say with the up most certainty that the majority of SAR calls deal with inexperienced taking on more than they can handle. Even on simple day use trails we have to extricate people from life threatening situations. That being said I do not want to discourage your adventures but encourage you to not chance them solo just yet. Out here in Colorado we have many transported people seeking others to adventure with and that is a great way to get out. Look on forums at places like fourteeners.com or even on craigslist. The best way to enjoy the outdoors is safely. Take the time to gain the experience and I assure you that you will reap the benefits.

Rangervick offers some good advice.  But if you manage to take a trip or two closer to where you live, setting up your equipment, making sure that you have everything you need and know how to use it, you will greatly increase your chances of success--even if you do this in your backyard overnight. 

And while I don't know the trails you are considering, it's always safer as a newbie to start on more popular trails, both because the trails are usually easier to follow, and because there will usually be someone else around if thing really start to go sideways on you.

I did my first trip in the Sierra when I was 12, with my 16 year-old sister and a friend of hers.  But it was a simple overnight, we were in the most popular section of the park, and my father (a ranger) had given us plenty of prep...

Edited by balzaccom