Use of hiking sticks/poles

Michael Crooijmans

Michael Crooijmans

hi, I am wondering When and if I should buy (ergo: use) hiking sticks/poles? Am heading next year for my 1st hike in Poland (s-e).

Edited by Michael Crooijmans

What distance are you hiking?  I ALWAYS hike with a "stick" because there are so many uses for it. To briefly mention just a few: balance crossing streams, defense, an extra point of contact on rocky or unstable trails, helps with steep ups and downs, can be used to check for "critters" through thick grass,weeds, etc on lower maintained trails, etc....... The list can go on and on. Whether a person decides to carry the traditional hiking stick or trekking poles is a personal preference. Hope this helps!!!!:)  Happy hiking and good luck !!

• Like 2

If possible, get an inexpensive pair of ski poles used. Try them out. See if you like hiking with poles. If not, you are not out of much money. If you like them, you can (possibly) get something better.

• Like 3

Michael Crooijmans

Hi, thanks.

The thing is, I'm just starting and I've read all kinds of advice on it and am not really sure if it's necessary other than handy.

So am a bit lost...

Besides that I have a picture stuck in my head of the elderly going out on sundays "nordic walking" =)))

But that's me.

• Like 1

I would suggest not thinking about useful vs necessary as the standard for considering a purchase, but rather risk vs. reward or discomfort vs. comfort.  This is basically the decision we make with all of our gear... tarp, tent, or hammock?  Inflatable sleep pad or closed cell foam?  Cook on a fire, carry a jetboil, or use a pepsi can stove?  You get my point. 

When it comes to trek poles, I believe the reward and comfort factors are significant.  In addition to all the features mentioned above, they provide a 3rd (or even 4th) point of contact with the ground, which provides added stability on down hills and slippery terrain.  Not only is this safer, but it takes strain off the knees.

I personally use 1 trek pole.  I like the benefits discussed, and like the freedom of having a free hand.

• Like 3

I've read all kinds of advice on it and am not really sure if it's necessary other than handy.

Besides that I have a picture stuck in my head of the elderly going out on sundays "nordic walking" =)))

They are only necessary for the elderly and infirm. If you are a strong, young guy, you do not need them. I used to hate them, but have found them pretty necessary the last couple of years. 

Edited by toejam
  • Like 1

They are only necessary for the elderly and infirm. If you are a strong, young guy, you do not need them.

I disagree.

Off trail hiking, down a steep slope, they are super useful.   

• Like 2

hi, I am wondering When and if I should buy (ergo: use) hiking sticks/poles? Am heading next year for my 1st hike in Poland (s-e).

I have used a single staff for quite some time.  After taking a tumble 10 days ago I went out and spent $11.00 for a nice set of trekking poles at Wally World.  Today was the first day I ever hiked with a set of trekking poles.  It felt almost like I was cheating -- I was very fast, stable and confident up the hill as I tested the poles, plus my mending knee and ankle.  I'm absolutely sold.  I might buy a nicer set one day.  For now the $11.00 beauties are doing just fine for me...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Apex-Trekking-Pole-Set-Black/36549842

Show this ad to someone at your local store and they will match the price...

• Like 2